Rockford Fosgate Type RF X6

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No lol......pins 1 and 2 are connected by a trace R80 is connected to them but goes to pin 5.

Pin 8 on the 3526 is fed by the pins 1 and 2 of the 339?

Is it possible the 3526 is defective?

The output pins of the 3526 feed the drivers for the power supply and that why the drive signal doesnt look good because the drivers are not sending a signal to the power supply fets because they are not receiving one correct?

I removed the jumper wire and the capacitor and the amp is not drawing any current but is making all kinds of noise now.

I removed all the mods from the last X6 chrome I repaired without any issues.

I don't see anything connected to pins 1 and 2 that could be preventing it from being pulled up by R19. If you could disconnect pin 8 of the 3526, that would help confirm that the 3526 is defective. The fact that the 5.1v output is low is another concern.

You could try jumping pin 8 to pin 18 to see if that would allow the amp to power up.

When all the mods were removed it sounded like the squeeling was coming from the U21 hard to tell though.

I replaced U21 and the amp powers up and produces a square wave and about 90v rail and has audio.

The gate signal still looks funny though what do you think?

Attachments

• gate signal 001.jpg
    gate signal 001.jpg
    907.9 KB · Views: 50
Pin 18 is 5.00 vdc exactly.

The output is a little distorted, I think I have a bad opto-coupler. I have a square wave on pin 2 of U9 but its funny looking coming back out on pin 7 to the driver.

What do you think?

Attachments

• Bad opto-coupler 001.jpg
    Bad opto-coupler 001.jpg
    949.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Bad opto-coupler 002.jpg
    Bad opto-coupler 002.jpg
    968 KB · Views: 44
It's not always easy to determine if the signal is good because it's floating. You have to use the scope in differential mode and place the probes on pins 1 and 3 of the output (without slipping and blowing them out).

I think that U21 was pulling pin 18 down and that was causing the problem (if that was indeed the problem). I've seen U21 leak plenty of times from pin 6 to the negative supply pin but never from pin 5 to the negative supply pin.

I ran the amp hard and punished the old 18" xlc and I noticed the output of the amp going up and down on its own. I found when I pushed on the cross over pot and the gain pot it got alot louder.

I replaced both pot and this amp pounds something fierce!!

I ran it for about 30 min with no issues. Didnt even get remotely warm to the touch either.

Thanks again for the help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.