Rockford Fosgate Type RF X6

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Please read post #20 first.

I changed U11 out with a new part and now I have a clean triangle waveform and 0.000 vdc on pin 7.

Do you think I should still change U17 or just re-install R35 and power the amp. I was not sure what all problems U11 being defective could cause???

Please read post #19-#21 to catch up.

I replaced the U11 as said in last post giving me my triangle waveform on pin7.

I then powered the amp with R35 installed and the amp powered up fine, no squeeling and protect light shutting off as normal, but................

I had full rail on the output terminal, from past experience I know the U17 can cause this, so I checked its dc voltages and it seemed to be defective so I changed it out. I powered the amp up and it powers up fine, no current draw, no protection, and the DC on the output terminal is gone!!!!!

I then hooked it up and tested for audio and wouldnt ya know I have clean audio. looks like this one is fixed, but I will put her to the test once its in the sink.

I have a X7 coming in next that looks like a over glorified bd1500.

Sometimes, when the driver IC fails, it shorts internally sending high voltage back into the low voltage supplies which damages some of the op-amps on the same low voltage supply. It generally happens when the outputs fail. I've never seen it happen when no outputs have failed but if someone was to short between the right terminals or a strand or wire was loose in the amp, that could cause the same type of failure.

Now that you mention it I did see some little strands of loose wire pieces very small on the board when I took it apart. Someone also had reflowed some solder on some of the IC's and there was a solder bridge under the U11 op-amp. I cant remember which pins now, but the amp is working great.

Thanks for the help Perry.

Ran it hard for about 30 minutes with no issues, man this thing really hits hard. Very clean crisp power.

I posted a few pics.....love the look of the Type RF Chrome series amps!!

Attachments

• Type RF X6 Chrome 002.jpg
    Type RF X6 Chrome 002.jpg
    772.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Type RF X6 Chrome 003.jpg
    Type RF X6 Chrome 003.jpg
    801.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Type RF X6 Chrome 001.jpg
    Type RF X6 Chrome 001.jpg
    756.7 KB · Views: 63
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.