Rock - Progressive Rock ->>>

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ever heard a band called: DISCUS.
This is a band from Indonesia, their music is very complex, below is a review from progarchives:

/quote:
Discus biography
Very tempting to describe this 8-piece unit as some sort of Indonesian MR. BUNGLE. Less frantic in terms of style, they don't have a singer as mad as Mike Patton but they do match the band in terms of virtuosity, eclecticism and heaving rocking. DISCUS' material is stunningly complex and varied, alternating between changing time signatures and calm, contemplative moments, sometimes in a matter of ten seconds. In addition to traditional rock instruments, they play violin, clarinet, bass clarinet, sax, flute and a variety of ethnic percussion instruments.

Both of their albums,"1st" and "...Tot Licht" (released in 1999 and 2003 respectively), are a veritable patchwork of jazz, fusion, Sundan traditional and Balinese music, contemporary classical and classical chamber, pop, pop jazz, prog rock, heavy metal and dissonant avant-garde. In short, the band tackles just about every imaginable genre that lies between PINK FLOYD and WEATHER REPORT. The vocals follow a similar pattern, featuring both male and female vocalizations that can be normal one minute and hysterical the next. This band truly defies all categories but given half chance, their material provides an intriguing, powerful, challenging and tremendously rewarding experience.

Highly recommended to the open-minded listener and to fans of extreme avant-garde.
/unquote

check this link to listen to MP3 of their song titled "System Manipulation":

DISCUS System Manipulation MP3 (Stream/Download)

Hi all, excellent thread :) I regularly use Progarchives to checkout Prog bands and usually buy the higher starred albums. I've also reviewed a few there although not for some time.
Progressive Rock Music Ultimate Discography ... with Free MP3, Videos and Reviews

A few of my own personal favourites are:

Martin Orford - The Old Road. (Sounds great on my Tripath Amp).
BigElf (these guys use ALL old equipment from the 70's and yet there stuff is well produced in modern studios of course. I'd class as heavy Prog)
Camel (very laid back stuff and just great)
Echolyn (the arrangements from these guys will knock you dead - & checkout their frontmans solo effort - Brett Kull's Last of the Curlews. Not really Prog but a cool album all the same.)
England - Garden Shed.
Tibet - Tibet.
Yezda Urfa - Sacred Baboon (off the scale US Prog from the 70's).
Triumvirat - Illusions on a double dimple.
Gryphon - Red Queen to Gryphon 3.
Julian's Treatment - A Time Before This.
Sindelfingen - Odgipig.
And last but not least...
Steve Hackett - Voyage of the Acolyte.

Enjoy :)

Progressive rock had many faces. It was very interesting was was going on in Germany. Electronic music back then was included in prog rock. Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk were already mentioned. Other groups/artists;
Ashra Tempel
Manuel Göttsching
Klaus Schulze
Popol Vuh: Popol Vuh - Heart of Glass - Der Ruf - YouTube
Amon Düül II: Between the Eyes - Amon Düül II - YouTube
Florian Fricke: Popol Vuh - Kyrie 1973 - YouTube

And great:
Hawkwind: Hawkwind - Silver Machine (Promo) - YouTube
I am a big fun of YES and I think that Relayer was one of the best prog rock albums ever.Also, Wishbone Ash and Atomic Rooster would follow "guitar" prog bands.

Last edited:
Fascinating thread about fascinating music. I was fortunate to have grown up with WPLO FM when it was a format that I think got named in retrospect, "Underground FM" and there appears to be a large overlap between the radio format and prog rock. I wrote about it a year ago, along with finding diyaudio (I obviously hadn't found THIS thread then), and featuring The Left Banke song "Pretty Ballerina," apparently the B side of their big hit "Walk Away Rene:"
Ben's (not quite) First Ever Presence On The InterWeb: Give Me That Old Time Underground/Prog Rock

Yes, both songs use a Mellotron. The infamous "Free Bird" also uses a Mellotron. I'm just sayin'.

I have a minor obsession with WPLO-FM and its format at the time (ISTR 1968-1975) - it was more comparable to the college stations at the time than to the other commercial stations. There were some albums WPLO played about every track from, such as "Court of The Crimson King" and "It's A Beautiful Day." I'd really like to have their complete playlists. I remember a good bit of the music they played, but no doubt there's a lot I'm missing.

I love losing myself in music, I get lost in prog rock quickly. With only my eyes closed and music playing, my perception of time and spacial cognition is skewed until I'm turning end on end, inside out and I can't pinpoint my limbs location or size relative to the image of myself I've grown accustomed to. Sometimes the sensation overload makes me cry. This is my favorite time.

Some easy ways to get there:
Pink Floyd - The Wall, Meddle
Tool - Salival, Lateralus
Led Zeppelin - III
Kyuss - Blues For The Red Sun
Radiohead - OK Computer

I also like some more esoteric music in this genre but, for me, those are sure fire. Sometimes, some music I love one day, I find grating the next. Not these. Cover to cover, any time, any day... in this genre anyway.

The more I listen to music the more the boundaries between the genres blend for me. I can listen to classical pieces and translate them into metal and back, blues, country, bluegrass, jazz... whatever. Good music should and does escape boundaries. To me Tool is "just" Tool. But, I find myself classifying music daily in conversation. shrug.

Megadeth - Rust in Peace is awesome!

Last edited:
Anthriel

The new Anthriel is excellent.
http://www.amazon.com/Pathway-Anthr...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1322001872&sr=1-1
The new SubSignal cd has some great vocal harmonies, great songs. Easy to listen to for your friends who are prog-metal "beginners".
Amazon.com: Beautiful & Monstrous: SUBSIGNAL: Music
Other current favorites include:
Darkwater
Amazon.com: Calling The Earth to Witness: Darkwater: Music
Suspyre
Amazon.com: When Time Fades: Suspyre: Music
Astra
Amazon.com: From Within: Astra: Music
Circus Maximus
Amazon.com: Isolate: Circus Maximus: Music
Aspera
Amazon.com: Ripples: Aspera: Music
Shadow Gallery
Amazon.com: Digital Ghosts: Shadow Gallery: Music
Silent Memorial
Amazon.com: Retrospective: Silent Memorial: Music
Status Minor
http://www.amazon.com/Dialog-Status-Minor/dp/B002LMKK28/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1281184839&sr=1-1
Seventh Wonder
Amazon.com: Mercy Falls: Seventh Wonder: Music
Dream Theater
Amazon.com: Black Clouds & Silver Linings (3 CD Special Edition):…
Dreamscape
Amazon.com: End of Silence: Dreamscape: Music
James LaBrie
Amazon.com: Elements of Persuasion: James Labrie: Music
Mind's Eye
Amazon.com: A Gentleman's Hurricane: Mind's Eye: Music
Pagan's Mind
Amazon.com: Enigmatic: Calling: Pagan's Mind: Music
Symphony X
http://www.amazon.com/V-Mythology-S...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1281186386&sr=1-1
Rush
Amazon.com: Power Windows: Rush: Music
Other favorites also include:
Flaw
Amazon.com: Endangered Species: Flaw: Music
Catherine Wheel
http://www.amazon.com/Happy-Days-Ca...=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1281186853&sr=1-7
Megadeth
Amazon.com: Countdown to Extinction: Megadeth: Music
Extreme
Amazon.com: Waiting for the Punchline: Extreme: Music
Fuel
Amazon.com: Something Like Human: Fuel: Music
Tool
Amazon.com: Lateralus: Tool: Music
Taproot
Amazon.com: Blue Sky Research (Mcup): Taproot: Music
From Zero
Amazon.com: One Nation Under: From Zero: Music
Sevendust
Amazon.com: Home: Sevendust: Music
Queensryche
Amazon.com: Operation: Mindcrime: Queensryche: Music
Metallica
Amazon.com: Metallica: Metallica: Music
Stone Sour
Amazon.com: Come Whatever May: Stone Sour: Music
Alter Bridge
Amazon.com: Alter Bridge Blackbird Cd+dvd ( Exclusive Edition ): alter bridge: Music
Diffuser
Amazon.com: Injury Loves Melody: Diffuser: Music
Verve Pipe
Amazon.com: Pop Smear: Verve Pipe: Music
Kim Mitchell
Amazon.com: Universal Juveniles: Max Webster featuring Kim Mitchell: Music
Ian Anderson
Amazon.com: Secret Language of Birds: Ian Anderson: Music
Kings X
Amazon.com: King's X: King's X: Music
Freak Kitchen
http://www.amazon.com/Land-Freaks-F...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1281188998&sr=1-1
Jethro Tull (You've got to be kidding me! This cd doesn't come up until the third Tull page on Amazon? Nobody likes this album?)
Amazon.com: Roots to Branches: Jethro Tull: Music
Jane's Addiction
Amazon.com: Strays: Jane's Addiction: Music
Incubus
Amazon.com: Make Yourself: Incubus: Music
Hoobastank
Amazon.com: Hoobastank: Hoobastank: Music
Mudvayne
Amazon.com: Mudvayne: Live Dosage 50 - Live in Peoria: Mudvayne, Phil Tuckett…
VanHalen
Amazon.com: Fair Warning: Van Halen: Music
Gravity Kills
Amazon.com: Gravity Kills: Gravity Kills: Music
God Lives Underwater
Amazon.com: Empty: God Lives Underwater: Music
Soundgarden
Amazon.com: Badmotorfinger: Soundgarden: Music
Alice In Chains
Amazon.com: Dirt: Alice in Chains: Music
Stretch Princess
Amazon.com: Stretch Princess: Stretch Princess: Music
Heart
Amazon.com: Dog & Butterfly [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED] [EXTRA TRACKS]: Heart: Music
Tonic
Amazon.com: Lemon Parade: Tonic: Music
Veruca Salt
Amazon.com: Eight Arms to Hold You: Veruca Salt: Music
Aerosmith
Amazon.com: Toys in the Attic: Aerosmith: Music
K's Choice
Amazon.com: Paradise in Me: K's Choice: Music
Naked
Amazon.com: Naked: Naked: Music
Drain STH
Amazon.com: Horror Wrestling: Drain Sth: Music
Temple Of The Dog
Amazon.com: Temple of the Dog: Temple of the Dog: Music
Living Color
Amazon.com: Time's Up: Living Colour: Music
Judas Priest
Amazon.com: Free for All: Ted Nugent: Music
Steely Dan
http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Co...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1281195258&sr=1-1

you cannot listen to it all, sometimes I thought that I heard it all and later on I find out that I missed out on real good stuff when it came out.
I'm more in songs and less in bands. Most bands or groups make good music pieces or songs but also not so good stuff.
Then there is short lasting stuff and there are the epics that almost are good forever, allthough to much repetition kills it all I find.
to pick 1... I like Jethro Tull the most I think (not even sure) because I like almost all their songs and grew up with them in my later teen years and still not bored with them

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.