ROAR15

Still typical bandpass response.

ROAR = BP6S.
TH = BP6S.
TQWP (TQWT) = BP6S.
T-TQWT (T-TQWP) = BP6S.

All 4 enclosures can be modeled in HR with the TH function.

The ROAR and TQWP can be modeled with any BP6S type function in HR.
This is where i found some important detail to make use of. Two fold front skinny section and big single rear at 120plus 120 cm at x cm2, and 120cm at 4x cm2… but a variety of driver offset entry points from the Pmax (0 cm) at start and from the Vmax at rear 240 cm affectively by a 30,45,60 cm length

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    508 KB · Views: 96
Hi. Apologize for bumping this thread almost one year later. This is my first post, but I've just been lurking and reading for a year now!
I'm fishing to see if there are any further impressions of the ROAR15s that have been built. I will start a build this fall and would like to gather good tips and info about the positives or negatives of these cabs, or potentially be persuaded to go a different route.

I was very impressed by the pics that "Damo s" posted, and he seemed happy with how they sounded (?). His depicted rig (p9) is comparable to what I'm aiming for.

My planned use
The occasional indoor event (a few times yearly), mainly in reasonably sized rooms 150-250m2. Audience: 150-300. Recorded music, EDM, hip-hop, and some Dub. I'm looking for bandwidth down to 40Hz, and likely crossed at 100Hz. I will trade size for efficiency, hence looking at TH cabs, and I don't need "them gangsta-low-lows."
Components for my mid-tops have already been purchased. (No amps etc., are bought yet).
Will 4 x ROAR15 that are fed 800-1000W RMS each fulfill my needs?

I have considered starting with 2 x ROAR18. However, I find minimal empirical evidence of their success online.
I assess my carpentry as adequate for a simple TH, although I've only built BR in the past (probably more than 15 different cabs, primarily for car and home use over the past 20 years.

Last edited:
Nothing against the roar, looks solid but I urge you check out th. For first foray i suggest Art Welters Keystone. Not too advanced carpentry. With a proper driver it's a legit pro tour level cab. One would easily suffice your needs. It will shock you if you've never ran a box like that. Completely trounces typical fare.

Sure lowz are important.
But my background in car audio has made me hungry for something different. In the car audio enthusiast world, you'll find lots of solid but poorly designed subwoofer cabinets. The efficiency of those drivers is usually completely abysmal. Often compensated for with thousands of watts per driver. I have enjoyed experiencing lots of low frequencies but with a distinct lack of transients and clarity. Powerful but sloppy or muddy sounding is another description. This is what I want to avoid.
... I'll settle for some good 'ol boom bap capability.

Zwiller: Thank you very much for that. I realize that I mistakenly called ROAR a TH in my original post; it is not. I am definitely open to tapped horns, as long as they can give a little low end. I will surely check out the Keystone in more detail. I have never run a box like that. I am hoping to be shocked.

Reactions: 1 user
That's why BP's need to be designed with a Devastator (BP6P) type frequency response in car audio. Flat response BP's exaggerate the low frequencies with transfer function. That situation affects the midbass or boom bap!

BTW, a TH (BP6S) in it's simplest form requires the same number of pieces of wood (7) as a BR enclosure.

I've always felt 40hz was a low enougn F3 to get satisfying bass in a smaller room. Nowadays I feel its more like 30hz, likely due to becoming more of a listener of percussive music and a fair bit of big band jazz / classical containing large dynamic swings. 40hz F3 is definitely enough for most music though.

Reactions: 2 users
40hz is totally doable for typical gigs if not bass head stuff. I ran an ev mtl rig which was 50hz at best BUT it ripped your face off above that. EVERYONE loved it still. Keystone does 35hz admirably and a great trade off. Theres also the b low 31hz keystone. I would say theres LOTS folks that expect 30hz now so you have to factor it in to your thing. That said, S*** gets big and heavy FAST. Lol

EV MTLs were great used in their intended bandwidth. I had 8 of them I used to stack together, which got the loading down to under 40hz and closer to 35hz in a corner. They went very loud and very clean in this configuration.

I'd definitely rather have clean 40hz capability than flabby 30hz. A FLH is better yet. Tapped horns are not so much my thing, unless they are designed with minimal GD and have clean CSD.

The roar gives a much greater output using the same driver as my smaller compact boxes. 1 on their own will need a bit of EQ to drop the 90hz bump but if you put several together the response flattens out and it goes a few hz lower before they start rolling off (about 36hz). I feel the 15 is a get compromise between output, response, portability / size (I can move them about on my own, but lifting into a van or car boot needs 2 people).

4 of these things creates a good amount of bass, even outdoors to 300, 400 people.

btw I've just finished building 2 more. I shall be running all 6 at an outdoor event this weekend. Looking forward to it :)

In general I am really liking these modern paraflex designs (there are many).

Last edited: