Roadkill Pyramids

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
& some serious drivers to go into them, got to get an order sent off for a buttload of inductors this week:

Attachments

• drivers.jpg
    drivers.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 176
Loaded & ready to tweak...
Balance isn't bad, mids a bit forward, I had to substitute a ferrite core coil for the mids because of stock availability, rather than the higher R air core I did my original calcs on - need a couple of low value resistors. may up the cap on the mids to add a bit more warmth too (after a lot more listening)

Attachments

• tweak.jpg
    tweak.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 135
Hi Turk, - much better, & so they should, that's a good set of drivers, & I put much more thought into the crossover. The mid is the last of the Danish made Peerless Nomex 5"ers (I'm sure there's a Chinese made drop in substitute available), which was always an excellent driver. The woofer an 8" SB23NRX, & the tweeters SEAS 27TBFC/G. They image very well (& hopefully even better once I get the balance between the drivers spot on)
cheers,

a couple of .47 ohm resistors & 100uF caps later, & Beranek's law has definitely kicked in....
the resistors bought the mids into balance, & the caps took the crossover freq to the mids down an octave to bring out good double bass sound & WOO-HOO, these are amazing!!!! very clear, & detailed sound, Bass isn't in your face but it's solid, clean & goes low. I may tune the box up a couple of Hz to get slightly more Kick drum punch, but I'm a happy man right now.
This weekend's jobs - put the xovers in the box, tune up the port, run a Synrta plot, & post the schematic here, they're definitely worth copying...

ahh - that wasn't my intention, they'll get burned next winter while mates are drinking beer & solving the world's problems...
anyway, let me introduce the next act in the saga, the 1st ROADKILL CENTRE: take 3 no-name drivers, the 'woofers' are 4" with big magnets, quite efficient, the crossover is the ultimate in sophistication, a single 5uF cap, (Although a quick listen before I trundled off to work this morning makes me think I may need to throw an inductor in there:

Attachments

• roadkill ctr.jpg
    roadkill ctr.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 129
The woofers are a pair of Wavecor 6.5" I have lying around, don't qualify as roadkill because I paid real money for these, but at AUD 50 they're a bargain, smooth response & only need a medium sized box.
Soundlabs Group 6.25in. - 4 Ohm - Ferrite - WF160WA02''
I have them performing well in as little as 15L, but the boxes I'm using this time are a little larger, I want good low bass rather than a tuned hump. These started life as storage boxes made from ply offcuts, but plenty of filler & felt padding has got them useable:

Have them assembled, just need to sort the xover simple first order between mid & woofer; wound an inductor last weekend but it had too high R, may have to spend money on a good ferrite core inductor once I've recovered for my recent holiday

Attachments

• box1.jpg
    box1.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 111
while I'm waiting for my bank balance to improve, knocked these Almost Auraclones together last weekend: (Almost, because real Aura's are sealed, not open at the back)
take a pair of nice Sanyo drivers from a discarded boombox, Fs ~ 200 Hz, Qts ~2.5... They sound good & image very well,probably due to the small voice coil.
The box was what was left over after I dissected an old pair of test cabs to make the mid chamber for the above nearfield monitors, & the paint was excavated form the dark corners of my shed...

Attachments

• aura2.jpg
    aura2.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 34
  • aura1.jpg
    aura1.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 34
finally got my Janzen Inductors - those things are a work of art.... replaced my dodgy ones in the monitors (post 36), - put them on improvised stands... and spent the next 6 hours listening to music... must have a bad case of Beranek's syndrome, but I really was impressed by how good these sound, balance was even across the range, and the bass was articulate and clear, with plenty of punch. I think these are the best box I've had the Wavecors in (& bemused as to why Wavecor drivers don't feature more on DIY Audio... availability?). The low notes in Chemical Bros 'Further' are solid,, don't shake the windows like my large Peerless woofers, but still damn good; A couple of recordings of Handel Sonatas reveal the Harpsichord bass lines very well; high complexity music (Rammstein & System of Down) is clear except at extreme volume, I'm very happy with these...
It'll be interesting to see how they behave on a desktop rather than stands, but I need to make space to assemble the desk...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.