Ripping rate and format?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Peter apparently knows and likes WMP so I am directing this question at him, but anyone is free to answer.

Does WMP have an option for Error Correction?

I loaded EAC and Lame on an older PC with a Samsung DVD-rom / CD-r/rw and EAC read through the same disc (Lyle Lovett, I Love Everybody) quickly with very few issues.. Prolly 1/3 the time of the Tosiba DVD-r

But the EAC did not make a new folder, did not get disc info and didn't have the same "ease of use" as WMP.

I am scratching my head over whether I want to fight a clugy program for portable music or just go with something ease and convienent.

Windows Media Player and error correction

I agree with you that Windows Media Player is very convenient, especially for ripping.

Windows Media Player does have error correction but as I recall it is limited to pattern matching - i.e trying to stick together the pieces correctly due to inherent flaws in Red Book Audio specifications. I am currently on a beta machine without an optical drive so I can't verify where it is but I believe it is under each optical device (a checkbox) - tools->options->devices->properties - select drive. It is not on by default, and on my machine it is off since I let the Plextor do this for me. Remember pattern matching can actually cause problems of it's own in that synthetic music can be perfectly repetitive - where do you start and stop in that case?

The way I look at it is: Plextor have consistently done a good job of audio ripping for me. I have gotten burned by other "quality" drives. The cost of the Plextor is a couple of CD's (I do have an USB version as well :)) and I don't actually like the work involved in ripping. I have the Plextor software bundle installed, but only use it to control ripping speed. On eBay this very moment, there is a drive I would be perfectly happy with for $25 on buy-it-now - grantent not the premium version, but nevertheless probably almost identical hardware. Search for "Plextor 52" and select a 52x CDR/CDRW burner and you should have good hardware. Get the updated firmware for it once it is installed in your system. Newegg have new Plextor CDR/CDRW drives starting at $41 so it should be easy to get a decent drive.

It is only when I have a really bad(ly damaged) CD that I will resort to tricks such as exactaudiocopy or the Plextor software version which in theory should be able to do an even better job since it know things about the drive.

Petter

-b 160 -m s -h -V 0 -B 320

Hi ezkcdude,

You may like Transition Band 20094Hz - 20627 better when it comes to high frequency quality (-q 0).

Anything less than maximum bitrate (320 Kbits/sec) gives me soft bass.

In other words, lock the bitrate to max. and choose -q 0. This is the best I can get from LAME.

It is okay for the car stereo.

Regards,
Extreme_Boky

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.