Ripping CD's in Safemode sounds much better...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I thought we could all join in the fun and run a parallel experiment.

1. Download sample music courtesy of Sarah Sample. (27 MB)

2. Listen to all three one-minute clips as much as you like.

3. Complete this survey.

All clips were ripped from CD using EAC in accordance with the original poster's description.

At least one clip was ripped in safe mode.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Serious, moi ? I was having a bit of fun there :D
Yes indeed! Threads like this remind me of my new favorite TV show "Finding Bigfoot." No one ever finds anything, but great hi-jinx ensure. It's amazing that you can make an entire TV series (or thread) out of nothing. The ghost hunter shows are exactly the same. "Wait! Did you hear that?"

Nothing personal Erin, but your claim is a lot like claiming to see a Sasquatch. Finding one would be amazing, but the evidence is still so thin it can't be taken seriously. I know you meant no harm and just wanted to report what you heard to the rest of the audio community. You'll have to excuse us if we seem incredulous. :)

I know you meant no harm and just wanted to report what you heard to the rest of the audio community. You'll have to excuse us if we seem incredulous. :)

But had the claim not been so 'controversial' you would not have been incredulous. I see this sort of thread as direct evidence that claims based on listening are all questionable, if not outright null and void. You are able to dismiss this one out of hand, because you know it's wrong, but if someone claims that digital sounds harsh compared to vinyl, for example, everyone around here laps it up, despite direct evidence that audiophiles can, and do, hear what they want or expect to hear.

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The full songs are up now. It's a 3-5 minute download.

Have fun, lads.

Do it for science!

I thought we could all join in the fun and run a parallel experiment.

1. Download sample music courtesy of Sarah Sample. (128 MB)

2. Listen to all three files as much as you like in the comfort / conditions of your choosing.

3. Complete this survey.

All clips were ripped from CD using EAC in accordance with the original poster's description.

At least one clip was ripped in safe mode.

Last edited:
EAC in safe mode uses the default Windows drivers instead of the custom one included in EAC.
Basically you try to prove that EAC custom disc drives suck compared to the default MS ones? Considering that the driver in XP is different from Vista or Seven and the fact that x32 are different from x64 you are still required to say which version of Windows (and SP) you used and on what motherboard (since that makes a difference too).

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I can put the same file on repeat and hear differences each time. Ditto a copy of the same track. Can I identify those in an A/B test? No. It's easy to hear differences were there are none. It's much harder to identify those differences in a blind test. Just FWIW ;)

Re the sample DLs.
Are 2 out of the 3 files identical ? It would be most unfair to have 3 different files and expect people to say which sounded best, especially after Zipping,Unzipping,saving to a computer which could be a mediocre laptop or a high quality desktop, and degradation due to Servers and numerous transmission hops.Are people using analogue Out from a soundcard, or via a high quality DAC ? There are far too many variables here, especially if some people look at the files with binary editors etc, for an hour or so, decide there can't be any differences, and then have a quick listen.Expectation Bias works both ways ! 2 out of the 3 files should be stated as being identical.Even most participants correctly nominating which 2 files sounded the same is of statistical relevance.

SandyK

Status
Not open for further replies.