• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

RIAA Preamp and equalization 12AX7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have several LINE LEVEL tube amps. So i built a Solid State
RIAA Magnetic cartridge pre amp to listen to my LP's but that defeats the purpose of tube amps. So I want to build a tube pre amp. I found this circuit from a 1950's amp. It's not much but I think it will meet all my needs, except one. I would like to have a "flat" no equalization pre amp also. the "how it works" section says "equalization is achieved by plate to plate feedback through C-3 and R-4, with R-5 limiting the bass boost to prevent rumble".
How hard would it be to put in a switch or two to change between equalization/ no equalization?

Attachments

• 12AX7_preamp.jpg
    12AX7_preamp.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 344
Do you want the switch to choose between EQ and no EQ while listening to LPs? As far as I understand, you need RIAA EQ for phono. If the switch is to allow for pre amp of line level inputs, why would you want his? You would end up needing wildly different master volume settings when switching between line level input and LPs. If your other inputs are line level, no need for a pre amp.

Not my area of expertese, but I will go out on a limb here and state that for low level signals, you might not want to have the extra lead lengths required to hook all of this up to a switch. Also, switching that very low level signal might cause some thumps or pops? Others might help out here but these are the issues that I would think needed addressing before proceeding.

Cheers,

Chris

Your circuit is not having RIAA equalization. It is maybe from the era before RIAA became standard. Possibly intended for crystal cartridges.

Secondly, if you want to make switchable EQ to non-EQ, the non-EQ position requires to add some 40 dB (flat) attenuation, since this amount of equalization takes place in RIAA circuitry.

Here: http://r-type.org/static/pre.htm is a link to Mullard preamplifier where the equalization and gain is switched in different positions. By modifying this you can do something like you asked for.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.