• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

RH84 (EL84) Choke etc...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
That's a very subjective question, but...

Ultralinear is a way of connecting a pentode in a 'triode-ish' way. It is also a form of local feedback. It will sound different.

You will have less power, as it is less efficient. It does, however, have more power than triode-strapping the screen.

Try it, and tell us your impressions. You could also try it triode-strapped, it too is quite simple. I would like to read about your results!

A totally unrelated question. I've included a bleeder resistor for the testing stages. The resistor is tied from the B+ on the large cap to ground. Can I leave the resistor in place or do people normally remove them? (Not sure if it affects performance?)

If keeping the resistor - what is a good value?

Thanks for all the help.

Done!

Well, the amp is done!

I ended up using a 5H Hammond choke (158Q), Antek power transformer (275-0-275v for 292v on B+) and Edcor GXSE 15w transformers. Fostex 206en speakers are almost dead-quiet in spite of their high efficiency. I am using 47uf on the first cap and 100+100uf on the second cap. (Similar to RH84 schematic.)

Overall this is a noticeable improvement over my old Miniwatt N3. More bass response and the music is more 'energetic'. Better detail as well. Response is from a tad below 30hz up to about 19khz.

BTW - I am using a 100k resistor for the bleeder resistor.

Attachments

• RH84 internals.jpg
    RH84 internals.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 436
  • RH84.jpg
    RH84.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 429
Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Nice build! I love small chassis (chassi?) asthetically.

Very happy to hear that it's up and working well.

A suggestion, but emphatic -- don't make any changes (Transformer hookups, specifically) until the unit is all good and broken-in. Then fiddle as much as you want, but only make one change at a time. That way you can understand what the changes actually sound like.

If I can ask a quick question about the RH84....

To change the design to run in triode mode, do I just need to run the screen resistor (2k2) to the anode. With a smaller value, maybe 470R?

Thanks

The closer you get to a direct connection between screen and plate, the more it will be like 'true' triode connection. As I understand it, the low-value resistor (100 ohms?) is to forestall potential oscillation problems.

For comparison, a Champ 6V6 (pentode-connected) has the screen connected via a 25k resistor (RC filter) to the B+.

Will try this amp for a first not-kit build also - it has a seductively simple schematic and looks like I might be able to do it without blowing myself up. Question: I've built PCB amps in the past but would like to try hard-wiring. How does one go about it, just try to replicate the schematic with wires and components, or should I use a tag board? (I'm sure this question has been asked before the but the search on this forum baffles me.) Finally, can this amp be used without a preamp - and if I do put a pot or stepped attenuator what value would be optimal? Thanks in advance for helping a beginner.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.