Revisiting some "old" ideas from 1970's - IPS, OPS

There were a time when I was a nerve wreck when I had to switch on high powered projects, but after learning the tips and tricks I am much more relaxed. I even put 100R resistors in the place of the fuses with the bulb tester in circuit as well to ensure the bias wont run away on first switch on.:) But I still do switch the radio in the shop to off before switching on !:D

Luxfront - inspired by Luxman from 80's

Sorry - one more pretty cool IPS module :p

I just came across M-02 / MX-100 front-end and realized it's designed based on the same principles I like to use these days ("Bravo Luxman engineers!"). Besides the jFET input pair (transconductance stage), all the rest of the circuit is controlled purely by current, resulting in rather high slew rate (around 100V/uS with OPS in place), low distortion with excellent profile, low phase shift at 20KHz and excellent stability margins with very light compensation. As a cool bonus - perfect clipping.

My version of the topology uses mostly TO-126 devices - most of them dissipate 150...170mW, except LTP's tail (Q3) - it runs at 450mW.

Besides BF862, 2SK170 jFETs can be used in the input pair (layout needs to be updated in this case).
Luxfront can be used with any OPS, published in this thread.
It's also compatible with Slewmaster OPS boards.

Diy-friendly layout for etching is attached (PDF).

Cheers,
Valery

Attachments

• z05 Luxfront-00-etching.pdf
    123.8 KB · Views: 150
  • z01 Luxfront 01.pdf
    30.2 KB · Views: 160
  • 13 Luxfront Clipping 20KHz 84Vpp 01.JPG
    13 Luxfront Clipping 20KHz 84Vpp 01.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 190
  • 12 Luxfront SQR 28Vpp 01.JPG
    12 Luxfront SQR 28Vpp 01.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 173
  • 11 Luxfront THD 01.JPG
    11 Luxfront THD 01.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 466
  • 10 Luxfront loop 01.JPG
    10 Luxfront loop 01.JPG
    289.3 KB · Views: 482
  • 04 LuxFront 01.JPG
    04 LuxFront 01.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 510
  • 03 LuxFront 01.JPG
    03 LuxFront 01.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 538
  • 02 LuxFront 01 Sch.JPG
    02 LuxFront 01 Sch.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 560
Sorry - one more pretty cool IPS module :p

I just came across M-02 / MX-100 front-end and realized it's designed based on the same principles I like to use these days ("Bravo Luxman engineers!"). Besides the jFET input pair (transconductance stage), all the rest of the circuit is controlled purely by current, resulting in rather high slew rate (around 100V/uS with OPS in place), low distortion with excellent profile, low phase shift at 20KHz and excellent stability margins with very light compensation. As a cool bonus - perfect clipping.

My version of the topology uses mostly TO-126 devices - most of them dissipate 150...170mW, except LTP's tail (Q3) - it runs at 450mW.

Besides BF862, 2SK170 jFETs can be used in the input pair (layout needs to be updated in this case).
Luxfront can be used with any OPS, published in this thread.
It's also compatible with Slewmaster OPS boards.

Diy-friendly layout for etching is attached (PDF).

Cheers,
Valery
I use this topology for one of my favorite amp SR300 from thread
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/173462-studio-reference-amplifier-238.html#post4938798

Attachments

• APEX SR300.JPG
    APEX SR300.JPG
    496.3 KB · Views: 577
Hi Mile - good one, I like it a lot - based on the right principles. You're using additional mirrors-with-gain stage.
Elegance of a-la Luxman topology - VAS output (transimpedance stage) is driven directly from the folded cascode, assuming both LTP and VAS stage work at the same idle currents (in my case - around 5.3mA). Just a variant - but isn't it cool in its simplicity :cool:

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I like the Luxfront! There's been so many front ends that I've gotten lost long ago. I still have a set of Slewmaster OPS boards here---maybe this is the one that will get me moving :) Any chance there will be a production run of these boards. Learning to etch might induce a case of laziness :)

Steve.

Hi Mile - good one, I like it a lot - based on the right principles. You're using additional mirrors-with-gain stage.
Elegance of a-la Luxman topology - VAS output (transimpedance stage) is driven directly from the folded cascode, assuming both LTP and VAS stage work at the same idle currents (in my case - around 5.3mA). Just a variant - but isn't it cool in its simplicity :cool:

"Bravo Luxman engineers!"

I dn"t know if it is the right....
After discussing with gentleman Valery, i decided to give a try to TubSuMo-IPS but actual size is not compatible with other IPS to direct swap.... So i decided to give a try to a new layout. It was not easy to "compress" all in 76x100mm so some smd parts and 2 layer couldn't be take to side....Here is my try to join TubSuMo-IPS to 76x100mm family...

Marc

Attachments

• TubSuMo-50v-IPS_sch.jpg
    TubSuMo-50v-IPS_sch.jpg
    467.4 KB · Views: 448
  • TubSuMo-50v-IPS_parts.jpg
    TubSuMo-50v-IPS_parts.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 425
  • TubSuMo-50v-IPS_tracks.jpg
    TubSuMo-50v-IPS_tracks.jpg
    508.6 KB · Views: 388