Revamped Thorens TD 160. What else?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pretty well modified TD-145 MkI.

- Bottom panel made of 3/4 MDF with metal bracing
- TP-16 rewired w/Cardas wire
- Leather mat
- a lot of additional mass in the plinth (lead weights screwed to sides)
- cork and high density foam lining the inside

Best mod was the bottom panel. I know some people dont care for mass loading with suspended tables but I like it. I tried felt, cork and the stock rubber mat. Finally went to a homemade leather mat made of two pieces of leather glued together. Like this the best. Cardas tonearm wire is a good upgrade, not too hard to do.

Just wanted to add something a little bit off topic. For the first time, I used a protractor to precisely align my cartridge and it definitely changed the sound of the Denon DL 110. Better treble extension, but at the expense of bass. I'll get used to the new sound :)

Just wanted to add something a little bit off topic. For the first time, I used a protractor to precisely align my cartridge and it definitely changed the sound of the Denon DL 110. Better treble extension, but at the expense of bass. I'll get used to the new sound :)

I am also using a Denon 110 on a TP16 Mark I. I've found that I prefer the VTA to be "tail-up" a few degrees. VTF is around 1.5g.

That's definitely not right. If you are not already a member join Vinyl Engine | The Home of the Turntable and then have a look at their extensive libraries which include a lot of information on arm geometry and alignment.

I downloaded the protractor file from them :) BTW, after two hours of intensive listening, I prefer the sound with the right alignment. I hear details I didn't hear before!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.