Returning to the States after 10 yrs, advice?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, our adventure in Argentina has been set to close within, say 7 months, almost exactly Ten Years to the day...
We're returning to Portland, OR metro.....cash in hand to buy property, houses & what not.

This is what we'll be leaving.

Any thing I should be aware of??

----------------------------------------------------------------Rick.......

Attachments

• Rickspictures 008.jpg
    Rickspictures 008.jpg
    459.9 KB · Views: 243
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Would you mind getting me a bottle of 18 year or older scotch at duty free, I'll reimburse you when you're here. Thanks

Are you sure you wouldn't rather move to Renaca (Vina Del Mar) Chile, Ponta del Este Uruguay, Santa Marta Colombia, Mara del Plata is much nicer than Bahia Blanca. I spend last week in Ipanema and Salvador.

Last edited:
I spend last week in Ipanema and Salvador.

I don't think it is helpful to just drop names, especially when including a borough in the city of Rio de Janeiro and the capital of the state of Bahia in the same sentence, without additional details. Let me help you fill what is missing: both are tourist traps, overpriced, dirty, with high crime rates.
The OP is obviously looking forward to moving back to a first world country.

Would you mind getting me a bottle of 18 year or older scotch at duty free, I'll reimburse you when you're here. Thanks

Are you sure you wouldn't rather move to Renaca (Vina Del Mar) Chile, Ponta del Este Uruguay, Santa Marta Colombia, Mara del Plata is much nicer than Bahia Blanca. I spend last week in Ipanema and Salvador.

I've seen the good stuff here at a local store...maybe $30 a bottle USD, compensating for the crazy exchange rate.
This is the bargain basement stuff, comes in at about $2.80 a liter...

-----------------------------------------------------------------Rick..........

Attachments

• AAAAAbraK 004.jpg
    AAAAAbraK 004.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 223
I don't think it is helpful to just drop names, especially when including a borough in the city of Rio de Janeiro and the capital of the state of Bahia in the same sentence, without additional details. Let me help you fill what is missing: both are tourist traps, overpriced, dirty, with high crime rates.
The OP is obviously looking forward to moving back to a first world country.

Well, we are in somewhat of a big-ol' tourist-trap....Summertime the population doubles....all the nearly abandoned homes in our neighborhood spring to life, the grasses mowed...Then magically their winds up a loud family pops in...about December 20th or so...only to be "abandoned" again, about the end of January.

-------------------------------------------------------Rick.........

Well, we are in somewhat of a big-ol' tourist-trap....Summertime the population doubles....all the nearly abandoned homes in our neighborhood spring to life, the grasses mowed...Then magically their winds up a loud family pops in...about December 20th or so...only to be "abandoned" again, about the end of January.

-------------------------------------------------------Rick.........

Rick,

I know it very well. I grew up in Brazil and traveled so many times to neighbor countries, especially Argentina, that I have lost count.
In the 80s there were cycles during which the Argentinian economy was stronger and they would buy properties in Brazil, mainly in the city of Balneario de Camboriu. When the situation reversed, Brazilians would buy property in Mar Del Plata and other places, while the Argentinians lost their vacation properties in Brazil because they could no longer afford the payments. I spent a better part of a Summer in Mar Del Plata, at a friend's house, which he later stopped paying when the Brazilian currency lost so much of its value.

Rick,

I know it very well. I grew up in Brazil and traveled so many times to neighbor countries, especially Argentina, that I have lost count.
In the 80s there were cycles during which the Argentinian economy was stronger and they would buy properties in Brazil, mainly in the city of Balneario de Camboriu. When the situation reversed, Brazilians would buy property in Mar Del Plata and other places, while the Argentinians lost their vacation properties in Brazil because they could no longer afford the payments. I spent a better part of a Summer in Mar Del Plata, at a friend's house, which he later stopped paying when the Brazilian currency lost so much of its value.
When we got here in 05, we went house shopping..with our $$ from a house in Hillsboro...we got that one in 98, from 126K to 200K.....then, this half of a duplex, at 26K...now it's worth 80-90K...nearly quad what we paid for, ten years worth.
Now that the properties Stateside have stabilized...???

-------------------------------------------------------------Rick...........

When we got here in 05, we went house shopping..with our $$ from a house in Hillsboro...we got that one in 98, from 126K to 200K.....then, this half of a duplex, at 26K...now it's worth 80-90K...nearly quad what we paid for, ten years worth.
Now that the properties Stateside have stabilized...???

-------------------------------------------------------------Rick...........

Right now, in many large metropolitan areas including Dallas, the prices of existing houses have consistently gone up because inventory is limited. People don't want to sell unless they know they can find property to buy in the area where they are going to live. The reason I mentioned Dallas is that there is plenty of unused land around the city and historically new houses sold for 1/3 of the price of comparable properties in Southern California. Those new constructions are now rare and should remain that way until developers regain confidence in the market.

Use Zillow (Real Estate, Apartments, Mortgages & Home Values | Zillow) to find houses in the areas where you would like to live. For many properties it shows previous sales obtained from public records, so you can get an idea of how prices are rising based on land and building sizes.

Rick,

When researching the area where you want to live you can also use the site below. The information is obtained from police blotters.

https://www.crimereports.com/

I looked up some homes awhile ago appx. 32nd, to 39th & North side of East Burnside, all big old elegant homes.....but the crime-report wasn't looking good. What neighborhood was that called? Eastmoreland?...can't remember, but I can still see it in my head...the little arches on the corner of the blocks for the walkways...put in in the Twenties.

--------------------------------------------------------------Rick.......

Moved to Portland last October, wouldn't rather be anywhere else. But we bought the house 11 years ago, couldn't afford it today!

It's almost ridiculous the prices houses go for now in the city now, though, hardly anything goes for less than the asking price, much goes for above asking.

It's great being near ocean, mountains and high desert all at the same time. And to be somewhere where everyone isn't into exclusively their cars and lawns...

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I've been to Portland a lot on business - loved it. I have a friend who moved there from SF about 15 or 20 years ago and bought a huge house up in the hills - he made a fortune on his place in SF. He tells me he would never leave it. Both him and his partner work from home - he's a physicist doing modeling stuff. I hear it's a pretty safe place as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.