Retro fitting a USB DAC into a pre-amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Aaron, sorry, your post must have appeared whilst I was typing my above post.

I shall have look at that link and see how much they go for. If they're cheap enough I might get one first to get things moving until I'm ready to dig a bit deeper.

I have a couple of other projects already sprung up too so it might mean I can get those sorted first (speaker modifications and this: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/215878-adding-gain-control-power-amp.html

Not to mention the car projects that are fighting for my attention. I think I have a young family somewhere too.

Cheers,

Simon.

Not to mention the car projects that are fighting for my attention. I think I have a young family somewhere too.
mustnt forget that one =)

I cant argue with the performance of the ODAC, i've got it beat at its own game (numbers) as well as doing many of the things that the designer frowns on, but for the money I doubt you'll do better as far as measured performance if you diy; I spent many times its price

its more than your average ebay board, but the concerns raised about fake parts are perfectly valid, most of them I wouldnt touch unless it was a purely fun tweakers build and i'm passed that a few years ago.

I may have misunderstood your priorities as placing a bit more value on the journey than what ODAC offers. if you have low budget and simply want the best measured performance you can, then you shouldnt go past the ODAC most likely, but if you want to have a bit of fun first, go the ebay dac, or better, one of the dac kits from here on the forum

I think the main problem is I can't help myself and don't appear to know what I want! :D

Since finding this forum and realising that there is a whole world out there of people actually daring to modify there hi-fi equipment, I've been looking at mine in a new light.

There are three areas I have identified as wanting attention.
1) A USB DAC feed to the C500 Control/Pre-Amp as listed in this thread.
2) Some form of stand alone pre-amp to boost the signal from the Yamaha AV Processor to allow it to be plugged directly into the Power-Amps as discussed here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/215878-adding-gain-control-power-amp.html
3) Speaker Mods - Mission 734i Floor standers - improvement to cross over wiring and whatever other tricks I can find (mass loading etc...)

On top of that there are my ill-planned car projects:

Auto-TaT

Taking a step back and looking at all that is going on, I think I need to see what is available already built first. Being honest with myself, no matter how much I'd like to experiment with home Hi-Fi projects, the cars will always take priority. So anything I do build for the Hi-Fi will only be done the once.

In the case of project no. 1 above, that would point to the ODAC. However, I am also always skint so if I can build a comparable performer for less then I'll do that.

Similar with project no. 2, I need to see if I can find a small pre-amp already available to do the job. All I can find in small sizes at the moment are phono pre-amps with no gain control. I don't even know if a phono stage pre-amp is even useable?

So, I'll see what is available pre-built and for what money. Then see what is available for DIY for what money and go from there.

Thankyou everyone for taking the time to advise and share your opinions, this thread has already un-muddied the waters substantially and I don't feel quite so blind now. I now know to avoid the eBay offerings and have three good options to choose from for the USB DAC.

Now to sort out project no.2 in the other thread, then decide which to do first!

Many thanks again,

Simon.

Last edited:
Update!

Right, slowly sorting my life and my Hi-Fi.

Project No. 2 - is now resolved. I don't know what had happened/I had done wrong but the Yamaha AV Processor is now feeding its signal direct to the power-amplifiers at a normal line level.

Project No. 3 - Speaker Mods - This is going to be rather rudimentry and can be completed slow time.

So that brings me back to:

Project No. 1 - USB DAC.
After re-plumbing the Hi-Fi system (and removing the CD player) I no longer have anything plugged into the C500 Pre-Amp.

The digital signal from the Media Centre PC is currently being transferred via fibre optic SPIDF to the AV Processor which is of course now plumbed directly into the Power-Amps. The sound is improved over the previous set up but it could be better. I'd also like to make use of the C500 Pre-Amp.

So I still intend to press on with the USB DAC build. However, I was wondering if it would be possible to add a couple of optical and coaxial digital inputs as well? Could I make them selectable utilising the existing selector switch on the front panel?

If this isn't too big a task I am hoping to end up with one kick-ar*e high quality DAC equiped digital pre-amp! That wuld make a little bit of my life complete. :p

I have started a new thread to consolidate this one and expand on what I am aiming for as things have developed a bit since this threads inception. Please see here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...l-pre-amp-build-help-request.html#post3092463

Please consider this thread now closed. Many thanks for all the help, it has not been in vain. :)

Don't want to clutter the new thread Simon, and confess to being confused what exactly you need the C500 Preamp for?:confused: ie What analogue feeds do you need? Turntable? Tape?
Is the AV unit digital inputs only?

If you are running optical out from the PC to the AV(Preamp), the signal is already line level out from the AV to the PAs. A new DAC will probably better the AV's own internal DACs for music, but then you then have to switch between
Source A - AVPre
Source B - New DAC
A switch box is probably the solution for that

Whether the PC itself is optimised to get best audio quality out is perhaps worth examining, as you do not say what you are using, and this is often overlooked.....XP-Asio, 7-Wasapi, Foobar, WMP, JPlay??
If the source is compromised, it will not matter a damn HOW good the DA conversion is....
Just my 2c;)

I don't need the C500 any more really, the Yamaha is able to perform all tasks. It's just that the C500 gives a better sound on analogue. Also, it's something that I would really like to try to build. If I get it to how I want it, I'll be able to plug any other digital sources into it in the future too.

During the re-plumbing of the Hi-Fi I also had a shuffle round on the shelves and moved the Yamaha up near the top where the wife can reach it easily.
The C500 is now on the bottom shelf and has become my use only! I'm the only one who properly enjoys listening to music, I sometimes think the rest of the family would be just as content listening to it playing from the TV speakers!

As for the PC, that's another area that needs research but I have been led to believe that a USB signal should be uncompromised. The motherboard has USB 3.0 built in too.

I don't need the C500 any more really, the Yamaha is able to perform all tasks. It's just that the C500 gives a better sound on analogue. Also, it's something that I would really like to try to build. If I get it to how I want it, I'll be able to plug any other digital sources into it in the future too.

During the re-plumbing of the Hi-Fi I also had a shuffle round on the shelves and moved the Yamaha up near the top where the wife can reach it easily.
The C500 is now on the bottom shelf and has become my use only! I'm the only one who properly enjoys listening to music, I sometimes think the rest of the family would be just as content listening to it playing from the TV speakers!

As for the PC, that's another area that needs research but I have been led to believe that a USB signal should be uncompromised. The motherboard has USB 3.0 built in too.
This has to be a joke, right? Try reading The Well-Tempered Computer then re-phrase the question

Sorry, you've lost me. Good site though, lot's of food for thought. It is now book-marked.

If you are questioning the actual quality of the build of the PC, which is fair enough as I have shown my lack of knowledge on here, then be assured that it is capable. It is a small form factor Micro-ITX board with HDMI, DVI, USB 3.0 and Toslink SPIDF outputs along with the usual 3.5mm sockets. It has an external power supply. It is running the top spec Intel i3 processor with 8GB of RAM and a solid state hard-drive. So the machine is completely unstressed with the possible sources of noise interference kept to a minimum.
I obviously can't say how good the on-board audio circuitry is as I have nothing to check it with. However, so far, using the Toslink connection, it has proven to be very revealing through the Yamaha AV Processor and has, I believe, reached that units limit. I have noticed since using the Yamaha as the pre-amp that the treble has lost some of its delicacy.

Besides, there's a good chance that future audio components could well utilise it and I ust really fancy building one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.