• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Retro - A fully symetrical phono stage with RIAA filter

Rest assured, the project is not dead. :) I do apologize for it dragging out, but Brian and I both have had a lot going on both outside and inside TPA.

I can understand that! I really don't know how you guys keep up, but thanks for it.

The timing of this is great. I'm finally planning on getting a decent turntable and could use an improved phono pre. As someone without a lot of time myself, your kits are quite nice.

I won't likely need it for a few months - it would be great to know what the rough ETA might be on these? (and maybe an ETA on the second batch in case I miss it...) No detailed schedule or anything, maybe just a WAG?

Thanks,
Chris

stalled

I suppose the retro has stalled... (as is common I see for you and Brian to Juggle so much - it's understood :)

in looking again at the circuit, I think I'll go with something more conventional anyway. (I don't need balanced out & my TT won't lend itself to run floating) It's a great looking little design, and quite interesting.

What I really need are some placid boards! And those are out too. You guys are keeping quite busy!

ES9102 for audio measurements

dear Russ:

the ES9102 ADC probably is great for recording music, but it would also
be great for us who makes audio measurements and needs the lowest
possible THD. The ES9102 specs an amazing -120 dB THD!

Russ, as an ADC with the ES9102 is on the agenda, I wonder what kind of digital outputs you plan to include? SPDIF? I2S? USB?

BTW,
have you tried the ES9102 eval board?

Regards,

The ES9102 is on the agenda. It will be its own module. It will would work just fine with this cct.

dear Russ:

the ES9102 ADC probably is great for recording music, but it would also
be great for us who makes audio measurements and needs the lowest
possible THD. The ES9102 specs an amazing -120 dB THD!

Russ, as an ADC with the ES9102 is on the agenda, I wonder what kind of digital outputs you plan to include? SPDIF? I2S? USB?

BTW,
have you tried the ES9102 eval board?

Regards,

ESS has not released the ES9102 yet.

I will be using it as soon as it is actually available. :)

There is no eval board yet to play with.

We have had a module planned for the ES9102 since it was announced. So far all that is available is the product brief. :)

Cheers!
Russ

RIP - retro

I'm not normally one to just jump up and say a project is buried and gone, but this one's not seen any active responses in quite a long time.

Russ' last response was in May, and that wasn't even on topic. Though I'm sure he may get back around to this someday.

I recommend checking out the new pearl 2 article from Wayne and Nelson over in the pass labs forum. The article itself was just published on passdiy.com so you can check it out and see if you're interested. (the price ended up a little steep for the PCB's, but that's your choice)

On the opamp side of things I am currently very happy with my ESP phono board. I used one of Russ and Brian's Placid BP's for the power supply and it sounds fabulous. (the preamp board is ESP project 6, and the project 99 rumble filter)

-Chris

Retro BOM

Hi,
I got a pair of boards from Brian and am getting the parts order together. Am I on the right track with the ICs ? I am not an expert so if there are better parts I can get please let me know. I am basing this bom on available parts. I will be ordering from Digikey and mouser to get all the needed parts. If I need to substitute anything better can someone give a hand? I am including parts for several gain levels. I am building a retro for my soundsmith low output denon dl103r. I still need to order 2 placid BP ps from TPA.

Attachments

• RETRO order.pdf
    92.9 KB · Views: 301
Retro out of hibernation

I have the Retro boards done. Need to build the pair of Placids to power them and fire them up. Had some trouble with the parts and Brian and Russ helped me out. My BOM is wrong! I needed opa 1632, not opa 1623! Had a hard time finding small .22 uf caps. So the caps are not mounted as close as I would like. Hope to have it running today!

Attachments

• Retro-1.jpg
    Retro-1.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,071
  • Retro-2.jpg
    Retro-2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,063
  • Retro-3.jpg
    Retro-3.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,054