Resurrecting 70's audio components

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hmmm. I found on Audio Asylum a thread on which someone suggested moving 'R214' slightly, which is the 'VCO adjust' trim pot, for exactly the problem I have.

I marked its position and then carefully tweaked it, but it didn't work. I just replaced it where it was.

I guess I might look for a local who knows how to align and adjust these things!

Stuey

yes you need 2 things to align it properly. the right test equipment, and experience. for the MPX to work properly, the IF alignment needs to be "staggered" so that the IF bandwidth is wide enough for the 38 khz subcarrier to get through. and aligning MPXs themselves takes a bit of experience. there were different test procedures for different types of decoders, some of them very touchy to align.

Thanks Jed.

Trouble is in this part of the world finding someone who you can trust to know how to do it! You lucky Yanks seem to have plenty of audio tech types over there!

We'll see how we go. I've contacted a trustworthy high end audio place with some older enthusiast owners who have their own tech. They reckon he can do it.

Stuey

maybe they don't sound the same, but they sounded good (and since no two people hear the same thing the same way, that's saying something!) and they were built to last (most of the time), and they looked nice (when was the lat time you saw a new piece of audio gear with a walnut, oak, or mahogany top cover?). they were simple to operate for most people. contrast this with the newer stuff that has about a hundred or so different settings stored in memory, and layer after layer of menus to manage them, and enough surround sound processor features to confuse anybody but a tech or engineer (although i sometimes think the engineers that design this stuff are rather confused :confused: ), and some come with not one, but two different remote controls....... add to that wireless surround amplifiers that must be synched with the main unit, sattelite receivers, HDMI ports, USB ports, iPOD ports, etc..... there's more technology and processing power than in the rocket that landed on the moon (and you might need a NASA engineer to decypher the owner's manual too...)

at a yard sale i found a used RCA stereo receiver from the '70s, complete with slide rule tuning and a built in turntable on top. it had one of the worst cases of dust contamination i had ever seen, but since it was vintage i figured i'd plunk down my 5 dollars and see what i could do with it.

after rebuilding a blown output stage, recapping the entire amp board, and installing new ps filter caps and various other things like contacts etc, the sound hadn't really improved that much. then i stuck in a new volume pot. wow did that make a difference. a real pleasure to listen to now imo.

still cant find a cartage and needle for the turntable though, but the RIAA board works.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.