Restoring and Improving A Thorens TD-124 MKII

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

THIS IS NOT YOUR FATHERS TD-124 | Page 11 | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Not your Father's TD124. running on AudioKarma. Link above.

Another piccie
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I wonder if the original designer of the Td124, Louis Thevenaz, could see this, would he be spinning in his grave.... or would he applaud the effort?

One thing is for sure, that Td124 has been chopped into pieces.
-Steve

Yes I have seen it when he is finished I would like to measure it to see what kind of results it has done.
Just putting the motor pulley and steppulley on top of each other without balancing it properly, I do not think is right.
Thorens balanced this very accurately and not for nothing I have done vibration measurements where a small imbalance in these major effects on the vibrations and flutter.
Better to use the Papst motor as upgrade.

It's interesting you say that. In the simplest terms if can not be wrong. From my experience what Thorens did will not be easily bettered. If there is no obvious damage it should work. The belt system overcomes the unavoidable vibration of the motor type. Fingers detect vibration very well. The motor usually has very little when finger tested. TD124 was from the world of watches, They had people working for them who knew how to make a high quality motor. The Lenco motor seems slightly better by using a slope rather than step pulley. The bigger factor is bearing movement, oil being like a heart bypass.Often the bearings are bone dry. Equally often they can be saved. If the shaft bottom is worn that will make noise. There will always be a little wear. Most happens in the first two weeks of use.

I think where most people go wrong is they quickly recognize the Thorens motor as being of a universal type often fitted to cheap heaters, kitchen fans and ovens. The little heaters cost £10 including casework, motor, fan, heating elements, switches, thermostat, mains cable and over temperature cut out. Even these motors are very well made and surprisingly low vibration. The motors must be made for much less than £1. It is easy to think ubiquity equals low quality. Not at all.

It's interesting you say that. In the simplest terms if can not be wrong. From my experience what Thorens did will not be easily bettered. If there is no obvious damage it should work. The belt system overcomes the unavoidable vibration of the motor type. Fingers detect vibration very well. The motor usually has very little when finger tested. TD124 was from the world of watches, They had people working for them who knew how to make a high quality motor. The Lenco motor seems slightly better by using a slope rather than step pulley. The bigger factor is bearing movement, oil being like a heart bypass.Often the bearings are bone dry. Equally often they can be saved. If the shaft bottom is worn that will make noise. There will always be a little wear. Most happens in the first two weeks of use.

I think where most people go wrong is they quickly recognize the Thorens motor as being of a universal type often fitted to cheap heaters, kitchen fans and ovens. The little heaters cost £10 including casework, motor, fan, heating elements, switches, thermostat, mains cable and over temperature cut out. Even these motors are very well made and surprisingly low vibration. The motors must be made for much less than £1. It is easy to think ubiquity equals low quality. Not at all.

Indeed nothing wrong with the E50 motor after a good revision .Thorens knew what they were doing afterall 50 years nothing wrong with a overhaul.

THIS IS NOT YOUR FATHERS TD-124 | Page 11 | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Not your Father's TD124. running on AudioKarma. Link above.

Another piccie

I wonder if the original designer of the Td124, Louis Thevenaz, could see this, would he be spinning in his grave.... or would he applaud the effort?

One thing is for sure, that Td124 has been chopped into pieces.
-Steve
User510,
could you attach your info using the Forum's ATTACH?

How to attach images to your posts.

I had a very small hand in designing the SME M2 arm. I think it's how I said things that worked. Can't say more as someone might get upset. It was how to make a lower priced arm in the same tradition. And how SME should not thow away their history. Myself and Terry O'Sullivan were at the time begging them not to stop making the 3012.

When I unpacked the arm I was mildly dissapointed until I heard it. I think the 10 inch willl fit the TD124 in it's usual slot even though likely made for the 9 ". The maths are better on the 10 inch. I much prefer it over the SME 5 looks aside.

I had a very small hand in designing the SME M2 arm.
Sir, that is nice to know.

As a graphic artist I like aesthetics of classic vintage SME tonearms very much. Beautiful design. Though I don't own one. I have seen it playing at friends place. When playing, it looks like it is quietly doing its job immune to disapproval of perfectionists.

c6fa585f315de9bf13d237a09327cbe5--audio.jpg

By looks I also like Goldring 88/99. Poor man's Garrard as they say.
Regards.

I could be the best of them all with a little work, I have one somewhere. The Lenco 75 in some ways better. SME 3012 is a nice arm and noticably better than the 9 inch. The quest to please Shure with the 9 inch makes it less suited to modern pick ups. The 10 inch lives somewhere in the middle. The sound of the M2 doubtless better ( it is ). The look/sound of old 3012 is great. I have a SME 1 somewhere.

I recently bought a spare step pulley for my Mk. I 124. When I tried to install it this weekend, it simply would not go down in the bearing. I put the original one back in and it went in nice and slow.

Did some of these step pulleys have different diameter spindles? It looks virtually identical to the one I had. I can't seem to figure out why it wouldn't fit.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If it was sold for use on a 124 and it doesn't work it should be. I have at least 4 different pulleys from the 1950's and 60's plus a couple of ones made in the past couple of years. They all fit both of my 124s, one from about 1962 and the other from 1967. I have worked on more than a dozen of these tables and the pulleys all interchanged without problems for testing purposes.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The 20 wt 3 in 1 electric motor oil I recommended early in the thread is completely petroleum based. Not to be confused with their regular 3 in 1 which is formulated differently (mostly for lower viscosity) but also completely petroleum based as far as I know.

The Kenwood tables are interesting and well built alternatives to the 124 and use a similar drive train. The motors are synchronous and speed is not adjustable, but otherwise they are a good option. The 400 is the deluxe unit with better main bearing and larger, more powerful motor.

GTHICM is very familiar with these tables and would recommend them I think.

I do recommend these TTs as cheerfully inexpensive and excellent, when they can be found. Having owned several PC400U models, TD124, Garrard, Fairchild 750 and others, to me it is at least up there with the Thorens and Garrard. The motor is well built as are the internals, and the platter is about 7 pounds of aluminum and magnesium. As Kevin says, the issue is speed which is not adjustable. Not sure where the problem lies exactly, but my first one ran slightly fast but will see on a second one that I have yet to get running.