resonant frequency of water (distilled) and how to make speaker play underwater

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A reminder: there's no such thing as HHO. You're injecting a hydrogen and oxygen mixture.

Try injecting pure oxygen and see what happens to the efficiency.

Out of sheer idiocy, I've done that. It's wasn't just O2, but added O2. Nothing interesting happened, luckily. But isn't the nitrogen component of air important to the pressure/volume increase after combustion even without various NOx products? I can't remember, if I ever knew..

A reminder: there's no such thing as HHO. You're injecting a hydrogen and oxygen mixture.

Try injecting pure oxygen and see what happens to the efficiency.

I have a friend who worked on the Star Wars chemical laser program. You can't make this stuff up, super heated O2 and florine gases ignited and turned directly into photons, minimum output 250kWatt.

EDIT - I thought we had the great sound propagation in water thread a few years ago.

But isn't the nitrogen component of air important to the pressure/volume increase after combustion even without various NOx products?

Sorta. Once the oxygen is burned out, the nitrogen largely remains (NOx species are a very, very small fraction) so that the amount of essentially inert gas allows more compression. Nothing special about nitrogen (other than "it's free"), you would get the same behavior with any inert gas.

this thread is delightfully nutty

Indeed.
I hereby claim 1/5th of the responsibility for that. Even if I was more nutty than delightful.

I say we continue this thread with any interesting new inventions and ideas, regardless of how outlandish and let all of the educated people here either shoot them down or move them forward (or both).

What say all?

SY,

That's what I thought..., I could easily still be missing the point of your suggestion to inject O2, but if you injected a stoichiometric amount of O2 only for whatever fuel, wouldn't you achieve a sort of lackluster output without the "springboard" compressed volume of inactive gas (in usual case mostly nitrogen)? Sort of the complete opposite of water injection?

you should definatley upload and link these videos to us, I'm keenly interested.

It is possible that they will never be seen again. I had a bunch of my old videos in an old PC. The PC also contained a lot of "data" from an activity that I and a few friends were engaged in. That activity was NOT illegal at the time we played with it, but became illegal later due to intense lobbying. One of my friends who had purchased some hardware from Canada with a credit card (DUMMMM) got sued and had to settle costing him $$$$$$$. A panic resulted in a few hard drives getting nuked in the microwave oven, followed by being pounded into dust with a 10 pound sledge. Data, evidence.....what data. I thought the videos were backed up on a CD, but I have not found them. This was all 15 to 20 years ago.

The Nitrous Lawnmower experiment was real. I connected a nearly empty nitrous bottle (no liquid left, only gas) to the air intake of a junk lawnmower, removed the blade, wired the throttle blade open, and started it up. Then we slowly turned on the gas. The engine revved to what sounded like twice the normal RPM level, and held that speed for several minutes. Smoke started coming from the exhaust. The muffler glowed red, then melted off. The head, then the cylinder started to glow, and the engine began to slow. It slowed down and died. You could not pull the starter rope. Autopsy revealed zero oil remaining in the crankcase, a partially melted piston with both rings touching on one side. The piston had to be hammered out of the bore destroying it. The big end of the rod was oval shaped, probably from running without oil at high temp. The oil all went out the exhaust, right past the rings.

The nitrous PC was a spoof, done by filling an old but working PC full of fireworks, and connecting the nitrous hose to the back. The PC was running Windows 3.1, the the fireworks was electrically ignited (Estes rocket igniter) as the nitrous was turned on. The resulting fireball enveloped the entire computer. The case melted and so did the housing for the CRT monitor. After it was over the black stain remained in the street for over a year!

I melted several microwave ovens too. It is possible to create a plasma ball in a microwave that will melt through the housing! I still have some pictures, but no video.

im very interested in star wars and not the movie kind, the one your talking about.

In the early days of the "Star Wars" defense project there was a competition for the laser devepolment. I had a friend who worked on an "electrically pumped laser" at United Technologies Optical located at the Pratt and Whitney skunkworks 15 miles west of West Palm Beach Florida then, out in the everglades. "Civilization" has been moving west. Find "Palm Beach International Raceway" (I used to race there) on Google and look to the south. It was not uncommon to see a throttle jockey doing some creative flying from the race track.

They had built lasers that were "blowing holes in (train) box cars" After two years of work, and demonstrations, the program was cancelled. The chemically pumped laser had made it to the next round. The electrical laser could not compete.

My friend and all his coworkers was called into the lab on a Wednesday, and told to scrap everything, they were all laid off as of Friday. They could take home anything they wanted! My friend was unhappy that he had a Corolla, but brought capacitors and other assorted high voltage parts to the local hamfests for several months.

SY,

That's what I thought..., I could easily still be missing the point of your suggestion to inject O2, but if you injected a stoichiometric amount of O2 only for whatever fuel, wouldn't you achieve a sort of lackluster output without the "springboard" compressed volume of inactive gas (in usual case mostly nitrogen)? Sort of the complete opposite of water injection?

A stoichiometric amount will require actual vacuum! If you run 100% oxygen, you'll have your stoichiometry plus plenty of extra oxygen for compression. You could even richen the mixture...

laser

I have a friend who worked on the Star Wars chemical laser program. You can't make this stuff up, super heated O2 and florine gases ignited and turned directly into photons, minimum output 250kWatt.

EDIT - I thought we had the great sound propagation in water thread a few years ago.

I was there back in '78 or so

Actually it was deuterium and fluorine as it lased at a frequency 3.8 µm where the atmosphere had a semi transparent window... program was called Lambda, followed by Alpha, a 5 MW IR laser...

Problems with the silicon mirror concept for bouncing the beam around,not to mention the fuel consumtion.

Google COIL laser for more recent info

John L

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
...the Pratt and Whitney skunkworks 15 miles west of West Palm Beach Florida then, out in the everglades.
I remember that area - the boonies! Remember running out of gas on my old Harley and bumming a few dollars from a couple of local cops to get home. Nicest thing the police have ever done for me at 6AM. :up: Didn't know about the P&W plant, tho.

I remember that area - the boonies!

After our local drag strip closed down it was a 70 mile ride to what was then called Moroso Motorsports Park. There was NOTHING out there except for Pratt and Whitney. They had a Sikorsky plant out there, a private airstrip and some secret stuff. I just Googled Earthed it when I wrote the last post and realized hust how close "civilization" has come. Moroso has been rebuilt since Dick Moroso passed on. It looks different from what I remember, but it's been 10 years since I was there.

Another friend who got laid off from the plant where I work moved up to Port Saint Lucie. His wife got a job as a night security (11 PM to 7 AM) guard at the guard shack at the entrance of the Pratt facility about 15 years ago. She didn't like it because "it was dark and spooky" out there. Strange sounds and lights offten occurred in the night. They constantly reassured her that they were normal.

One night she called the red phone to report an alien craft landing. She heard a strange sound, and it reflected a flashlight beam, but made no light of it's own. The voice on the other end of the phone assured her that it was not alien, it's one of OURS! The next day They even showed it to her and her husband. It was a saucer shaped disk about 15 feet in diameter. It used two counter rotating blades for lift and turbine power. It was made under government contract for Iraq duty. She promptly quit that job and got a security job at a boat yard.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.