• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Resistor solder height in SSE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guys,

I assembled an SSE board and just noticed that I might have missed a crucial part, most of my resistors are right on the board or maybe 1/8" off the board. The instructions look like atleast a 1/4" clearance on some resistors (especially the 560 Ohm 5W).

Will this pose an issue in the long run or should I just attempt to resolder the board with new resistors?

Thanks

The first pcb I populated had resistors in contact with the pcb and I had lots of problems getting the board to function correctly. The next project I did was the SSE and I made sure I had a gap of about 1/8" between the board and components. Everything is working much better now.

Thank you for the response. So is it safe to assume that any resistor > 1W will have to be desoldered and raised?

R2 150K 2W
R3 150K 2W
R4 10K 1W
R18 / R25 100 ohm 2W
R14 / R24 10K 3W

R17 / R27 560 ohm

I hate having to desolder all the resistors for the risk of damaging the board.

R18 / R25, 100 ohm 2W do not get hot in normal use. They are rated at 2 watts because I was able to blow a 1 watt resistor by plugging an electric guitar preamp into an SSE and cranking it to 11 with Chinese EL34 tubes. I doubt that too many users will do this to their HiFi amps, but I stress test my designs to make sure that they will survive most anything.

R4 only eats about 100 milliwatts and should be OK where it is. The white ceramic parts do get hot and really should be off the board as much as possible.

R2 and R3 eat about a watt to a watt and a half depending on the B+ voltage. They probably should have some space too. I have built a board with them right on the PCB, and the board is discolored a bit, but that amp is 10 years old and is stuffed in too small of a box.

R14 / R24 10K 3W eat about 1 watt. They get warm but not extremely hot.

keep those large resistors on top and vent the top plate so heat can escape.

I built an amp (not an SSE) with the white ceramic resistors in contact with the underside of the solid aluminum top plate, and even put some CPU thermal coating (Artic Silver) on the resistors. The amps top plate got pretty warm, but the resistors lived despite the 5 watt resistors eating over 6 watts each. Don't try this with the 1,2, and 3 watt resistors. The insulation may break down causing fireworks.

The first electronics project I did I wanted to make sure everything looked profession so I had all the resistors touching the board. And like another said I too had problems.

This time I still wanted everything to look as uniform as possible so I used a plastic spacer that was about .125 inches thick to set the distance away from the PCB. The spacer I used had some taper so the resistors are not all exactly the same distance from the pcb...but there is a gap.

Even though the resistors you installed are not evenly spaced from the PCB I would think it will be ok.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.