resistor question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
im rebuilding an ads amp pq20 replacing all power supply parts due to 3/4 of the are bad anyway my question is whats better to go with a -/+1% or-/+5% resistors i want pure sound quality out of this amp and if it means upgrading a lil so be it and also wondering if the resistors are just resistors or is one better then the other like if i ordered one from digikey for example or if i by one from radio shack are the all the same or is one better quality then the other to make this amp sound awesum

For ordinary 1/4W resistors I use a lot of the Yaego 1% metal films from Digikey. They're a good resistor for the money- anything better is a lot more money, and I doubt whatever difference there might be is detectable in an automotive system, even if standing still. I'd avoid the 5% and RS resistors. Power resistors are a bit more difficult. The safest choice is probably wirewound in terms of quality. Watch out for super miniature power resistors. They run very hot and can melt themselves right off the board under load. Use a cardboard shim to space power resistors off the board when soldering, then remove the shim. The downside of this is a bit worse susceptibility to failure under vibration, but it's not usually an issue.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.