Replacing Sony KSS-240a laser in Arcam alpha 7 CD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As a follow up to my post #37 above, I have since replaced the 12 way ribbon cable, having previously replaced the KSS240, the spindle motor{due to an intermittent fault}, and the loading belt and all discs(except a CD ROM, which I would not expect a 17 or 18 year old machine to read correctly)now play alright.

Kora kindly sent me the PDF too - many thanks.

I was actually trying to fix a Sony Mini System but the drive looks identical to the photos.

I finally found how to tunnel in far enough to remove the drive unit. Before ordering a laser i decided there was nothing to lose by adjusting the current a tiny amount as some web posts have suggested.

I first went clockwise on the right hand pot by the smallest amount I could move it. This made matters worse in that it said "No Disk" after about one second rather than ten. I then went anticlockwise a tiny amount and the unit now works again.

Everything I've read says this may get a few months more life out of a dying laser but it has at least (I assume) proved the fault?

Or has it? any words of wisdom would be most welcome!

So, do I order a KSS240a now or wait for it to fail again?

I see they are available on eBay for £9.75 - are these OK?

Chris

If this thread is still live I would be very grateful for advice/help.

First I would be grateful if anyone could send me the PDF mentioned above. I will reply to a pm with my email.

Second, I am working on an Arcam CD72 with a KSS240A laser that needs replacing (bad reading and distortion on CDR's). However I am stuck with how to remove the plastic piece at the top of the transport mechanism. Mine has 4 plastic clips, 2 on each side. But if I spring 2 on one side the plastic shows no sign of moving and I am worried about using too much force. Am I missing something or is there a "technique" for removing this top piece?

Thanks

Follow up to my recent post. I am still puzzling how to remove the plastic cover and would be grateful for any advice. I have tried pressing all 4 clips but the cover does not budge at all. I think there must be something else which needs to be released but cannot see what.

Also,I found a very good article about restoring Arcam CD players of the CD72, 73, 92, 83, Alpha 7SE , Alpha 8SE , and Alpha 9 types. Link is here http://www.condoraudio.com/wp-conte...am-CD92-CD-HDCD-Player-Restoration-Repair.pdf

That article seems to say that the KSS240A and KSS213C lasers are interchangeable but that the KSS213C is a much higher quality unit. I am thinking of ordering a KSM213CCM which is the whole assembly including a new spindle motor. Can anyone confirm that this will fit and work as a replacement for the KSS240A assembly?

Thanks

I may be talking to myself but I have resolved part of the problem. To remove the plastic cover you also need to remove the fixings holding the transport mechanism to the base of the case. This is easily done by pushing out the centre pin from above. After that the top cover comes away with a little fiddling when you undo the 4 plastic clips - first 2 on one side then the 2 on the other. This operation also disconnects the whole laser assembly from the casing (apart from the ribbon cables).

Still interested to know if the KSS213C laser within the KSM213CCM laser transport assembly is an ok (or hopefully,) better alternative to the KSS240A laser which seems to be the original fitting in my player?

Hi, I would really appreciqte this pdf also. I picked up a cd 9 a few days ago, and have noticed that on a few dics, usually with 15 tracks or more, the player takes an age to read the index if at all. On shorter discs seems to work fine. I do hear a very slight whine just after the cd starts spinning that last for about half a second.

Presuming this is a laser problem?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi,

I would really appreciate this pdf also. Just sourced an Alpha 9 and notice that although it plays the majority of discs fine, it seems to have difficulty with discs with over 15 tracks or so. The player takes along time too index the cd if at all. The majority of discs are fine though. Also just after the discs starts spinning there is a slight whine for about .5 seconds.

I do have an Arcam 7se. Could I just nick the whole cd transport out of that and put it in the 9?

Cheers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.