Repair power amp bearing fan?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

I have a hard to find 80mm bearing fan ( for a power amp).

it has movement to it (axial) so now makes a slight rattle. I am unsure
how to open it to see if i can repair it. Maybe someone has an idea?

here are a couple of pictures

thank you for any help : )

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hello thanks for your messages

It is a heavy metal chassis fan for power amps that get quite hot.

it weighs about 500grams

I hoped to keep the fan the same as the original specification

ball bearing, definitely 115v, 80mm I think its 32 mm deep? i shall have to get the specs and post later as i am away from the pdf.

they cost a fair amount and from overseas. I cant afford to buy new and the 'used' fans might have the same issue I have. I am in UK.

I did buy some sleeve bearing fans that were pretty much the same but although the manufacturer said they pushed more air, when I connected they did not they were weaker.and i then found they also had "less hours till failure" promised too (compared to ball bearing). Waste of money on that idea. I also bought an identical unit abroad and it arrived in worse condition.

So I thought to try and fix it as it is only has movement axial. it does not wobble

Thank you again. : )

Last edited:
Maybe you don´t actually need to open it.

You need to inject there some grease, oil won´t do.

Check at your local lubricants seller shop, there is a specific "ball bearing grease", generally yellow-greenish hue, the main property is that it´s very sticky (so it covers balls and is not pushed away by rotation).

You may cover that metal hubcap with a pierced rubber disk creating a sealed chamber and inject in the hole said grease under pressure so only way it can go is inside bearing.

No need to buy a pressure oiler can, for hobby use a medical type plastic syringe may do well; I have done similar jobs many times, often to keep power tools working some more time without full disassembly .

Or simply carry the fan to your car mechanic and tell him you want to inject grease there, they do similar jobs all the time.

The proper repair implies carefully prying that metal hubcap open and injecting grease straight insode the axle/bearing.

That said, 115V 80mm fans are VERY common and you´ll certainly find a replacement.

A plastic 12V PC type one is NOT in the same class.

Maybe you don´t actually need to open it.

You need to inject there some grease, oil won´t do.

Check at your local lubricants seller shop, there is a specific "ball bearing grease", generally yellow-greenish hue, the main property is that it´s very sticky (so it covers balls and is not pushed away by rotation).

You may cover that metal hubcap with a pierced rubber disk creating a sealed chamber and inject in the hole said grease under pressure so only way it can go is inside bearing.

No need to buy a pressure oiler can, for hobby use a medical type plastic syringe may do well; I have done similar jobs many times, often to keep power tools working some more time without full disassembly .

Or simply carry the fan to your car mechanic and tell him you want to inject grease there, they do similar jobs all the time.

The proper repair implies carefully prying that metal hubcap open and injecting grease straight insode the axle/bearing.

That said, 115V 80mm fans are VERY common and you´ll certainly find a replacement.

A plastic 12V PC type one is NOT in the same class.

Thank you for your response.

that is very interesting regards the grease.

I thought it could be repaired, as there is no play (wobble)
I might see what i can do regards the grease.

thank you very much. : )

You'd be looking around 20gbp or so for an equivalent like this one: SF11580A/1083HBL.GN | Sunon SF Series Axial Fan, 80 x 80 x 38mm, 52.7m3/h, 12W, 115 V ac | RS Components

I got a pair of the 230v version of these some time back and I was happy with them.

Great suggestions by JM and definitely worth a try before spending $$. But it does sound like you have end play on the shaft rather than worn bearings, so the fan would need shimming to reduce the play if that is the case. Sometimes these are manufactured as non-serviceable.

What would the collateral cost of total fan failure be compared to buying new?

You'd be looking around 20gbp or so for an equivalent like this one: SF11580A/1083HBL.GN | Sunon SF Series Axial Fan, 80 x 80 x 38mm, 52.7m3/h, 12W, 115 V ac | RS Components

I got a pair of the 230v version of these some time back and I was happy with them.

Great suggestions by JM and definitely worth a try before spending $$. But it does sound like you have end play on the shaft rather than worn bearings, so the fan would need shimming to reduce the play if that is the case. Sometimes these are manufactured as non-serviceable.

What would the collateral cost of total fan failure be compared to buying new?

Hi thank you for the link

I did not know Sonon made the ball bearing version

I actually bought the Sonon SF11580A P/N 1083HSL 115V

@ 30.0 CFM

This is the sleeve version. I found them to not push as much air compared to the originals on the amp. so i decided to not use them.

SF11580A-1083HSL.GN Sunon Fans | Fans, Thermal Management | DigiKey

I now have the original fan in pieces so shall try some grease
on the spindle.

thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.