Relays in input and volyme switch...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Something like this will work, with a couple of comments.

I would get rid of the second buffer - it is not needed but contaminates the signal path.

Use of relays vs. analog switches: relays give you wider range at high attenuation, at the cost of acoustic noise when you change volume - it can get very intrusive. Analog switches are quiet, but limit your range to something like -65dB. With relays and 16 resistors you can get more.

Minimum attentuation of your volume control will be close to -4dB if you want to keep the attentuation scale linear in dB's.

It is good idea to spend time analyzing the circuit - you can use Exell to do that easily. To simplify the analysis use the conductivity units, NOT resistance.

A volume control like this one, if implemented right, will give you wonderful results. Good luck.

Are the relays in Aleph 1.7 controlled in a binary way

I think it counts a binary register up and down and writes it to the relais. The MC would write with a special algorithm to avoid switch noise. I think when switching it cares for don´t do to large steps at a moment, or only switch one relais at one time. Could anybody decribe how this is implemented in a MC? I managed now to build a programmer for flashpics, and a PIC16F876 reading a rotary encoder with pushbutton funktion, counting up and down, write binary out on a port for relais, and write number to a LCD. What i need next is this special algorithm against the noise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.