relay volume control - POP!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,
I am also working on an output attenuator for my Aleph P1.7 clone as per the service manual. It’s done and working, but I am having a lot of trouble with pops so I figured this was a relevant thread to post to. I’ve tried some of the things mentioned in this thread to no avail, so I thought I would start at the beginning. Hopefully someone can answer these questions to make sure that I at least understand this thing and started in the right place.

First , in the service manual the schematic of the output attenuator is shown in the “off” position, correct? That is, no relay coils are energized, and the output is grounded through all of the resistors in parallel - Is this also the “mute” configuration?
General operation:
To set the volume to the minimum, the LSB relay coil is energized connecting the 8.06k resistor to the output, leaving the rest of the resistors connected to ground. To go to the next step, the 4.02k resistor is connected to the output, and the 8.06k resistor is connected back to ground. And so on in binary, albeit with certain steps omitted……..
Can someone please verify that I have this right?

tvnorm,

Sorry I just saw this - I answered the thread you started so have a look at it too. You have the above explanation all correct. Well done.

My control uses a lookup table and it has 64 values. It's too fine that
way. I'm going to cut it down to 40 or so. If one were to use a simple
counter as a controller 32 positions and 5 realys would be fine.

W.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.