Relay or switch mains

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi,
What about using the MOC3061. This will power up the amplifier clean since it is start at zero crossing of the AC. Attached it is the technical data. Also you can use a zero crossing relay Omron G3NE-220T-US. I found it no too long ago I am planning to using it in my new design.

Very useful devices are the opto-triacs. I used one to directly power a (small) transformer. Works brilliantly. Power is applied when audio is present and has a 5 minute switch off timer when audio finishes.

On the subject of zero crossing switching. Switching a large toroid at the zero point can actually be the worst condition for generating a large inrush current. How large depends on how much residual magnetism is left in the core (which depends on where in the cycle it was switched off). It's better to apply power at the peak of the mains cycle... which goes against initial logic.

I believe once large reservoir caps are added into the equation all that goes out of the window though, and the inrush current is large whatever point in the cycle the transformer is switched. Haven't seen much info on that anywhere.

Attachments

• Optotriac.JPG
    Optotriac.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 130
Could you give a link to the thread explaining that, after a quick search just now I couldn't turn up any info on it.

Is it only an issue for larger transformers since they will have the most significant inrush condition? I have some smaller transformers (less than 50VA) and smps that I was going to sequence with SSR with zero crossing switching so I am interested to learn more.

It seems that a simple relay is the go. If I was to use a relay. Nice notes on the zero crossover problems, until i read that article i was contemplating using one. I have been reading about triacs they do seem to be a bit noisy unfortunately.
I have been enjoying everyone comments I have been learning quite a bit.

Cheers

Specs read okay. A 2 section one 16A1-b-2 would be required to switch both hot lines you have in Aust. I don't believe you have a neutral in aust., just a safety ground and 2 hots.
This is a US origin switch. You should be able to find a 2 or 3 pole industrial disconnect at an electrical supply. Ask for a "lockout switch". The hole will be harder to machine, but it is not as likely to rotate in the hole as this device could. I have a lot of lockout switches on SS panels in dead motor drives I fished out of the trash at work. The motor drive is plastic trash, but the SS box and switch and heat sink are nice. Nose around a bar near a food plant, you may meet a maintenance man that can scan bins for you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.