Relay between power supply and IV stage causes an audible click

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm using a relay between the power supply and the IV stage of my DAC. When switching off the entire dac the relay switches and closes. This rapidly closing of the relay causes a audible click through my pre-amp out of the speakers.

I have read a while ago about making a relay switch slower, but have no clue if this would help, lets stand how I can achieve this. Any suggestions about avoiding this clicks are welcome.

Another solution would be placing the relay in front of the power supply, but because there is hardly any room in front of the psb I wouldn't like to use it there.

Last edited:
Yes I am switching the supply voltage to the I/V. There is no switch-on plop only a switch-off plop. I have thought about using a relay at the IV output, but I didn't like the idea of a relay in the signal path. Maybe I should place the relay in front of the power supply. But I was hoping for a solution to kill the plop.

Is there a reverse diode and filter cap in parallel with the relay coil? If not, when the relay coil is turned off, the collapsing magnetic field could generate a back EMF and cause a click noise.

1) If there is no cap and diode across the relay coil, add them and see if this helps.
2) You could do a little experiment and add something like a 10uF/25V cap in parallel with the relay coil to add a slight delay to the relay turning off. Try some different values to see if you get a time-delay that helps with, or eliminates the pop.
3) Jan's suggestion is a great one! You could rewire the relay to do that function.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.