REL Quake driver specs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi richie00boy

You appear to be an expert on all matters regarding subs. I have read many of your posts, and I am grateful for your input.

I am not looking for really deep bass, just something to complement my Fostex mains and take up the slack where they loose out.

My preference is for two small down firing subs, ported or sealed. This will give me more flexibility in the future and allow me to crossover higher.

Can you suggest a design 30-35 litres, perhaps a little higher? I could purchase new drivers if needed.

The amps are quite powerful and I can use them in a juicy, more adventurous set-up later, but for the time being, I am aiming for compact and cheap.

Thank you for your help.

Thanks for your kind comments.

I would say try with what you have for now, you can learn from it if nothing else. As your preference is for music it relaxes the SPL requirements somewhat.

Are your Fostex speakers horns? If they are more conventional I think a pair of sealed subs each with a single REL driver might do it.

Or you could do two drivers per box, one on each side so they mechanically cancel out the boxes tendency to travel.

The perameters of the drivers are as per post 15.

I think that I will build two subs, sealed with single downfiring drivers, and see how I go. The question is what internal volume to use?

The Fostex drivers are in a ML-TL enclosure, not horns, so they fall off at about 80-100Hz.

I have two of these drivers for sale!

Feel free to make an offer (UK only). I will post on the Trading Post after a while, but I may as well offer them to the viwers of this thread.

What a coincidence!! I've just bought two of these, the MDF has arrived and I've now got a jigsaw (all from Ebay).

This is my first sub project so it's good to have the 'real world' TS parameters.

I'm only going to use these for music so no great SPL's are required and they will be a stereo pair and downfiring (to be more child friendly!).

Richie: I'd also be very interested in your LT volume findings.

Regards,
Martin.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Well, I've missed a bit of this thread! Just to say, mine are still running well, and I'm quite happy with the project. For the money, they take some beating.

camt1 said:
Hi i recalculated the vas using the spreadsheet on richie00boys website using the following figures
D=210mm
Sd=346cm
Vtb=19l
Fs=32hz
Fc=55hz
This gives a calculated vas of 40l as the original specifications ,i wondered if these results are correct as i am new to this speaker design theroy ,any replies would be helpfull ( would save rebuilding my linkwitz circiut ).
Andy

Andy, (if you're still around ;) ), did you measure those parameters yourself? Just wondering why they're so different to mine.

Hi pinkmouse ,i have gone over my old calculations i was using ESPs linkwitz transform calculator and the original from the linkwitz website ,this gave me the calculated fc for the box i was using 19l sealed.This is where i have gone wrong as i used the given vas of 40l . I saw your results on this thread which were different from the ones supplied with the driver which made my linkwitz calculations wrong. To prove my original calculations I wrongly used my calculated Fc with richieboys spreadsheet which not suprisingly gave the original vas of 40l,

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
I exchanged a couple of emails with the guy, and I'm not sure he is connected to BK. He seemed a little vague when I asked about things he should have known about if indeed he did work for them. However, he did seem like a nice guy for all that, and was as helpful as could be expected, and the drivers certainly are a bargain if you have a use for them.

He does seem to sell a lot of them. I should also add that mine arrived very well packaged.

I'm halfway through building some 60 'ish litre sealed cabinets for mine. I wish I had more tools! An 8 quid jigsaw doesn't seem to cut it! :D

Oh well, it's another lesson learnt. Invest in tools or look like a fools. (Do you like that? I just made it up!)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.