regulated 5V DC supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is one side of a lightbulb filament dimmer than the other? Is one side of a resistor in series with a load less hot? Stick your finger on it and report back to us.
Joel,
The emission we are talking about is that of electrons. Those are the things we use to make it work!
If we apply a sufficiently negative grid voltage, the emission of electrons falls to zero.
Of course the temperature of the filament remains (relatively) constant along it's length, however it's powered.

Are we agreed that, from a practical point of view - it doesn't make any difference in sound or longevity? If you never experience any problem, what's the point in arguing its causes?

Well, I can't hear the difference, but then, I can't hear any effect from pixie dust either.

As far as longevity is concerned, I have insufficient test data.
I've actually powered a pair of VV32's with DC, running at 1/3 of their maximum anode current - so they should last a long time, but I am concerned that it might affect their life. I'm thinking of adding a switch to reverse the polarity occasionaly.

The point of arguing? It gains knowledge, and it's fun;)

Tomatito,

Just noticed your name as active...

Despite Joel's & my bickering, his last advice is good. You have to try the DC.
IMO too, it's best with a bridge rectifier (schottky if possible), 2 caps and 2 resistors (one in + side and one in - side). This arrangement will minimise common mode and differential mode noise.
You may need to re-bias.

Cheers,

Hi..depends on how much current they can handle..

I have tried this before on my 6n1p..(600mA)..and so far so good. Don't know how much it really made a difference..because I have never tried it in that amp with out the filter..they were schaffner...

I tried some other one's but somehow they dropped the voltage...so I dropped them.. :)

But definately go and try it.. you can always parallel them to give you a bigger current handling..

Regards,
Bas

Bas,
Tomatito and I have both bought prints for a voltage reg and current reg.. so the plan was to use both these.... the current reg after the voltage reg...
I am sceptical that any sonic improvement will happen. it could introduce more noise.
Personally I was planning to use a common mode filter ...commonly found as a mains filter... after that...
That'll probably get rid if the noise ;)

Sorry to be a killjoy.

Warning: These are my own opinions, and might not conform with the current :xeye: DIYaudio laws :xeye:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.