Rega Planar 3, RB300 & Linn Kx(?), Q!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ultima Thule said:
Oh,

here have really happend things, haven't been in hear for a while! :)

Well, thanks for your both input anyhow even if you have some diffrent views guys!

Would be glad if I could have an explanation about those TT technical stuff, what does the "cu" complianse mean?
How do you calculate for an optimal weight and find out some suitable cartridge?
I guess I have to get an accurate weighing-machine to weigh the tone-arm tip weight (where the cartridge is fixed) when I trim in the counterweight..?
Any usefull link about the theory behind choosing tonearm, cartridge, weight trimming etc?

/Michael

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Rega effective mass
is around 12g + cartridge weight = total effective mass,
not many cartridges are not compatible with the Rega.

CU = compliance units, or the stiffness of the cantilever,
low CU = a stiff cantilever, high CU = very soft.

http://www.n.mackie.btinternet.co.uk/documents/arm-mass.html

:) sreten.

Hi,

I hope it's OK if I "re-born" this topic - since I am infront of a similar dilema now.

The thing is - a friend of mine is selling 10yrs old Rega Planar 3 & RB300 in MINT condition (1st owner) for what I find a very reasonable summ (160Eur) - but without cartridge.

Since this would me mine "2nd system TT" (let's call it "a system for good old rock&pop") - I have one limitation: budget. I don't want to spend more than 100, maybe 125Eur for a cartridge.

It doesn't matter is it MM or MC (either low or high), since I have different phono preamps ...

I was checking out a bit the offer at local shops and via ebay. So that's what I have available:
- DL110 (cca 100Eur) (local)
- DL160/DL103 (cca 135Eur) (local)
- some Ortofons (MM models + probably also basic MC model) (local) - don't have the prices yet
- shure M 97 XE (ebay) - cca 95Eur
- AT 120ML (ebay) - cca 75Eur
- AT 440ML (ebay) - cca 110Eur

Personally I think DL110 could be great choice. but I also wonder about AT 110 and 440?

Any comments/experiences/opinions very welcomed ...

Michael

I think I can help. A yellow plastic casing is the K9 (I had one) and it was a fine budget cartridge in its day, but way too smooth for the Rega turntables (read "lifeless") I have a Planar 25 with an RB600 arm, so very similar to your set up. Forget the Denon Cartridges, they're suited to mailnly pop and are ancient in design and a little uncouth in response. For similar money (about £95) the Rega P3 is an ideal match with the Goldring 1012 which is superb, or even the 1042 if you can afford it. Most Rega owners reading this I'm sure would agree that the best suited cartridges for the RB300 on your deck include the Goldrings mentioned, the superb Sumiko Blue point special (very detailed high output MC at £230) and the Dynavector 10x5 (250) if you can afford it, although the latter is a little overkill on a P3. Stick to the Goldring and you wont be disappointed as there's nothing at the budget to touch it (see the reviews in HiFi World's Christmas edition).
The effective mass of the RB300 is 12.5 Grams and you need to match this with a cartridge to give a resonance response between 10 and 14 Hz. Few cartridges are a straight match for rega arms (you need a cart compliance of between 10 & 15 for cart weights of between 5 to 9 grammes) but the Sumiko BPS I use sounds fantastic coming in at bang on 10 Hz. Dont worry too much about this though. Buy the Goldring 1012 and enjoy. Its way better than the higher priced Rega carts but remember you'll probably need a spacer under the tonearm mount to raise by 2mm with this cart. A cheap way to do this is to buy a mountain Bike 1 1/4 inch headtube alloy spacer for about 0.3 Euros!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.