"refreshing" an old Carver amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Beat_Dominator,

Please tell me you are joking. :yikes:

Really. If you are not joking, you have been playing with a trim pot that could cause this amplifier to explode in your face.

Put it together, take it to a shop that was authorized warranty for Carver amplifiers that has the manual. Pay them to correct what you have done. Give them the caps to replace. Do not touch the cover screws again. Ever.

-Chris

Lol I'm not joking. This pot has a lead from the fan going right into it. There are a few others that I assumed were for the Bias adjustments..... If that's not what that pot is for then I guess I may have gotten lucky :dead:

I will just wait for these capacitors come in and maybe you can have me do some tests with a multi-meter to see if we have an extensive problem. I'm ready to learn and I feel my understang is adequate enough that I can get it working properly, with someone's help of course.

I just don't want to give up so soon!

Anatech:

Forward bias? :D:D:D:D These amps are not for newbies :D:D:D
BTW: I'm still trying to find an schematic.

Beat_Dominator:

Could you post more detailed pictures showing the insides of the amplifier? I love these switching designs, yet I have almost no chances of stumbling into one of them in my country. Also, I think you should leave it as it is as long as it does not show any fault. It's a nice piece of "tight" engineering, it has nothing to do with conventional amplifiers because any slightly wrong tweak will destroy it.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Eva,
PM me.

Hi Beat_Dominator,
There is a voltage adjust control. I fear you were playing with that. It may cause the caps to vent explosively if set wrong. It is in the power supply area.

Don't touch it until you get the new caps in. I hope you left it in the "fan not turning" state.

Really, what you did was very dangerous to yourself and the amp.

-Chris

Ah, well I did that when I first plugged it in to see if it even powered up. I never turned it up above where it was, and I'm sure I left it lower than it was originally set at.

Here is a link to the manual with some schematics on the last pages, though some numbers are hard to read.

ftp://208.187.38.55/Carver/Manuals/pm/pm-900 pwr amp.pdf

I found another problem today, though I'm not sure if it does anything. A transistor "Q221" has broken out of it's solder and, like a loose tooth, wiggles around freely.

So far that means I have a domed cap, a loose transistor, and a diode that is broken in half :(

I'll keep searching for problems as I wait for these caps.

Thanks for your patience with me guys, I am a newb with this but I hope to learn enough to do some easy servicing :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.