• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"Reference" TDA1541A DAC with I2S-BUS architecture

Surface Finish for future PCB´s

• ENIG - Electroless Nickle/Immersion Gold

Votes: 93 48.7%
  • Immersion Silver

Votes: 54 28.3%
  • Immersion Tin

Votes: 24 12.6%
  • OSP - Organic Solderability Preservatives

Votes: 20 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wonder if anyone can help me with a problem with Oliver's 3-way Salas shunt regulator board. I assembled it well over a year ago but put it aside because procrastination is what I'm best at. Digging it out last week, I remember why - the voltage on none of the rails goes low enough. For testing, I'm using a 19v DC input on each of the +/-5v and the -15v. Full (click-stopping) adjustment of the pot gets the output down to +5.3, -6.5 and -18v.

I readily admit that I don't properly understand the circuit. Can anyone give me any pointers as to where I might start looking? Many thanks.

Dave

. . . do all of the LEDs light up brightly?

Thanks for the reply. Yes, they light up much as I'd expect; the drop across each is ~1.9v. After reading Salas' notes and putting a resistor on the output to draw ~50ma, I replaced the 500R trimpot in the -15v circuit with a 1K pot and was able to swing from well below -15v to above with the final setting roughly in the middle. (I don't have parts to hand for the pots in the +/-5V boards so can''t as yet try the change on them.)

BUT - there's always a but - I noticed that the output starts at about -15.7 volts and takes ten minutes or more to settle down to -15v. Is that normal? Doesn't seem right to me.

Dave

Hi Dave, Im not sure, but mine tended to drift until I used shorter wire. It was oscillating a bit so I cut the wire leads to the dummy load and it was stable. Can you check with oscilloscope? If its stable I wouldn't be too concerned, but I am not an expert so maybe someone else can chime in, or ask Salas in his build thread.

:scratch2:Many thanks for the Red Baron v5 board Saulius. It is all built up.

Sadly though, I have no sound :scratch2: Perhaps Oliver can help

I still have not much clue about which board is at fault - the Teradak i2s converter, the Red Baron, or the Tubizator....

I have checked that the -15, -5 and +5 are present on the chip itself :checked:, have checked that the new design i2s attenuator has power :checked:(although it's 4.5v as I haven't yet made up a 3.3v regulator. Shouldn't it still work?)

My Tubizator valves are glowing :checked:, and have the required voltage :checked:. I have used the 75R resistors on the underside of my v1 tubizator pins. Is that OK?

How do I check if the i2s is present at the DAC? How do I check if audio signals are coming from the Red baron Board to the output stage?

Many thanks
Lucas

I am now convinced that my issue is i2S.

I touched the DATA and WS pins together, and got (highly distorted) music.

So, I have UFL pads soldered in place, but I'm not using them yet.

I have them wired as with my old TDA1541 board: GREEN to data, BLUE to FS/WS and BROWN to BCK, but it's not working. Am I missing something? Does the GND need to go just to the Red Baron Board i2s gnd, or somewhere else too?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.