• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

I have also been using an old computer with a serial port, with absolutely no problem at 115200, and a home made cable made from a twisted pair internet cable. I would assume that with that setting you would not have any problem at that rate. To follow up on TNT's diagnosis, if there is a mismatch is has to come from somewhere. Teraterm is probably taking over nowadays, but have you checked the settings on the computer for the serial port? I remember years ago, that it could make a difference to also set that to 115200 to send something via a serial port.

A feature to read out audio data chunks (& measuring jitter level) would greatly help in analyzing the root causes for loss in audio performance between different audio APIs. I hear a clear difference in audio quality between ASIO and kernel streaming. I believe kernel streaming is the more accurate path (as dynamics and separation of layers are better), but I would like to know for sure. I will try out (exclusive mode) WASAPI on short term as a 2nd reference.

Maybe it is slightly off topic, but in the meantime I tried WASAPI (exclusive mode). I use the Amanero USB to I2S board with my DAM DAC and Windows 10. My system sounds better with WASAPI. Placement is improved, detail in high is increased and the sound is overall much more direct. These differences are puzzling me, ASIO and kernel streaming should be bit perfect as well and sound the same... :confused:

Anyhow, it appears it is very important to double check the PC configurations aside from all the hardware modifications we tend to do.

Fedde

Magically the TeraTerm worked just now and I could update the firmware to 1.19 as I can see it on the uManager prompt via "+++". How do I select the filter now? Going again to the uManager and I can see some menu options like filters after typing "?".

Also the setup guide says once update is done, exit uManager and power cycle the DAC. So power cycle means just powering off the DAC and powering it back right?

Last edited:
Magically the TeraTerm worked just now and I could update the firmware to 1.19 as I can see it on the uManager prompt via "+++". How do I select the filter now? Going again to the uManager and I can see some menu options like filters after typing "?".

Also the setup guide says once update is done, exit uManager and power cycle the DAC. So power cycle means just powering off the DAC and powering it back right?

Within the +++ menu, you can persistently change the filter with:

set filter = linear
set filter = mixed
set filter = minumum
set filter = soft

Outside the +++ menu, you can change the filter with F4, F5, F6 and F7 commands (4=linear, 5=mixed, 6=minimum, 7=soft). This is not stored persistently, so you lose this setting during power off. However, for comparing filters, this is the setting to use.
For some reason, the runtime (e.g. Fx and Vxx) settings are not described in the DAM1021 manual, only in the DAM1121 manual! (@Soekris)

Power cycle is indeed turning the unit off and back on. If you have download Soekris latest v1.19 package, you do not need to update filters separately.

Fedde

Exactly, I already had a ST uC with the serial communication protocols and firmware update code written for my communication computers, so why do something new ?

And as TNT said, what other options are there really that don't require me to write a lot of code ? And run on multiple platforms ? And the device code fit in 32 Kbyte in the ST uC ?

And yes, I need to update the dam1021 manual....

Within the +++ menu, you can persistently change the filter with:

set filter = linear
set filter = mixed
set filter = minumum
set filter = soft

Outside the +++ menu, you can change the filter with F4, F5, F6 and F7 commands (4=linear, 5=mixed, 6=minimum, 7=soft). This is not stored persistently, so you lose this setting during power off. However, for comparing filters, this is the setting to use.
For some reason, the runtime (e.g. Fx and Vxx) settings are not described in the DAM1021 manual, only in the DAM1121 manual! (@Soekris)

Power cycle is indeed turning the unit off and back on. If you have download Soekris latest v1.19 package, you do not need to update filters separately.

Fedde

Thanks yes I did using the uManager by typing Set filter = Soft and then enter key. It got set to F7 as I see that most of the members are using Soft filter and I now hear it the music is has the warmth and calmness :)

IMHO there's nothing wrong with having a serial port on the dam. What would really help would be a built-in serial to USB chip.. that would make things a lot easier for a lot of people. But such a chip from a reputable manufacturer would add anywhere from 5 to 10€ to the cost of the BoM, plus require pcb real estate that may not be available.

A which for a later revision of the DAM 1021 would be the addition of an USB-Audio input. It is somehow nonsense to have async USB Audio processed by an USB-I2S device with its own clock and then entering the DAM FIFO with recollecting.
The DAM, as USB Audio device, could support (hardware) volume control directly by the player software.
Moreover this USB input could double as option for firmware updates.

As I’ve been hearing good things about the new update from the owner (and two other ‘experienced listeners’ who’ve heard it) of the 1021 I updated my question is - when can we expect the 1121 firmware update, Søren?

And my wish list would be a little different - I’d like that discrete output stage as a plug-in option for at least the 1121. Or versions of the 1121/1021 with the discrete output stage. I’m assuming it’s what you’re using on the end-user DACs so your response will be ‘Buy one of the end-user units’ but it’d be nice to have it as an option for the DIY and OEM units. Especially the OEM 1121 as 640R is a little high by today’s standards.

A lot of the wish lists have requests that pertain to features easily implemented with an external uC. If an onboard, user-programmable uC could be accommodated in the available real estate with enough GPIOs to accommodate an external OLED, maybe an RGB LED, IR receiver, rotary encoder (with switch), and a few extra general-purpose GPIOs (for, say, a relay board) it’d be a complete package, IMHO.

IMHO there's nothing wrong with having a serial port on the dam. What would really help would be a built-in serial to USB chip.. that would make things a lot easier for a lot of people. But such a chip from a reputable manufacturer would add anywhere from 5 to 10€ to the cost of the BoM, plus require pcb real estate that may not be available.

If no on board serial-to-usb chip, I would prefer a 90 degree bent connector for J10...

Last edited:
DSD over PCM is true DSD. PCM is just a container for the DSD "payload".

But the DAM also supports "native" DSD.

Both ways of transmitting DSD yield the same result.

But in the end, the DAM will convert DSD to PCM on order to convert it to analog. It has no other choice - it's an R-2R converter.

There are very few dac chips that manage to do DSD without first converting it to PCM, but that has very little to do with how the dac sounds in the end.