• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

In "historical" reports you could read that the DAM made distinct noises when switching on and off, but also when changing to resolution in the source audio material.
Are all (!) this past and fixed?
I plan to use the DAM 1021 / 1121 with a DCG-03 as the output stage feeding three amplifiers.
And I have no interests to destroy my activ speakers or frighten me every time. ;-)

None of this has been an issue since 1021-v2.

I have a question for Soekris. Would it be technically be possible to extend the number of input bits from 24 bit to 28 bit or 32 bit on FPGA side of DAM1021? Reason I am asking this is that I use equalisation on PC side with a bit of headroom to prevent clipping. So effectively I could lose bits of precision while using 24 bit input material and applying a bit of attenuation and equalisation. If 32 bit could be used for communication to DAM, the equalized data could be upsampled in FPGA with less loss. What do you think about this?

Fedde

I have a question for Soekris. Would it be technically be possible to extend the number of input bits from 24 bit to 28 bit or 32 bit on FPGA side of DAM1021? Reason I am asking this is that I use equalisation on PC side with a bit of headroom to prevent clipping. So effectively I could lose bits of precision while using 24 bit input material and applying a bit of attenuation and equalisation. If 32 bit could be used for communication to DAM, the equalized data could be upsampled in FPGA with less loss. What do you think about this?

Fedde

Could be done but too many things that need to be changed and tested.... Don't expect anything in this generation of DACs, although I'm considering more bits later on, not because I believe it will improve the sound, but just for the bragging rights....

Could be done but too many things that need to be changed and tested.... Don't expect anything in this generation of DACs, although I'm considering more bits later on, not because I believe it will improve the sound, but just for the bragging rights....

Ok, I understand it is significant effort.

Alternatively I could do the equalisation on the DAM with the provided IIR filters (biquads). Here a bit more flexibility in usage would help. E.g. it would be great if IIR coefficients could be changed over the serial connection, either persistently (permanent storage. so restore after reboot) or non-persistently (for experiments). I would be willing to write a small PC app to provide GUI support for this serial functionality.

Fedde

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Okey...

Some of the IMD measurements at SBAF actually look even worse. The "yikes messy" SMTP IMD corresponds to the 50+7000Hz dual tone at SBAF...

Really, they are not that different... check again!

Low level singel tone - jepp -> SOTA.

Maybe it's yours but it aint my favourite tune... :)

IMD is the most close to music that we measure.

//

Okey...

Some of the IMD measurements at SBAF actually look even worse. The "yikes messy" SMTP IMD corresponds to the 50+7000Hz dual tone at SBAF...

Really, they are not that different... check again!

Low level singel tone - jepp -> SOTA.

Maybe it's yours but it aint my favourite tune... :)

IMD is the most close to music that we measure.

//

The thing that I complain about is not THD or IMD (which mostly are a result of THD), but the level linearity measurement. I know that the sign magnitude principle per definition is level linear down to the last bit, and SBAF could measure it. The reason why I focus on that is that it is one of the reason why my DACs sound so good. I'm also perfectly happy with the THD and IMD numbers, less than 0.01% on the lowest cost board, it look worse on the FFT because the noise level is so low....

SBAF could measure that because they used a Dscope III, that, like other real measurement equipment, change range as the signal goes down so the ADC converter stays in it's linear range. The QA401 don't do that, so instead it hit the limitation on measuring very low level signals as their ADC is simply not level linear that low....

closed account
Joined 2007
In "historical" reports you could read that the DAM made distinct noises when switching on and off, but also when changing to resolution in the source audio material.
Are all (!) this past and fixed?
I plan to use the DAM 1021 / 1121 with a DCG-03 as the output stage feeding three amplifiers.
And I have no interests to destroy my activ speakers or frighten me every time. ;-)

No strange noises with my DAC1541

I have purchased over 6 Dam board till now infact I havent tried filter brewing. I have a doubt that I would like to change the filter by and external buttons either it could be using a micro controller or any other option is also fine. Can anyone tell me how to change the filters like take about 4 filters or 8 filters where it can changed externally? how its done?

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Filter changing is well documented in the official docs and in this thread. Filter changing is done through the serial interface. I forget the exact specifics, but I think you can choose between four filters while the dam1021 is running. Or you can enter the uManager and upload new filters.

To use a physical button to change filters, you'd need to implement the serial commands in a microcontroller, or raspberry pi, or similar. If using a PC for serial connectivity (e.g. raspberry pi), then you can use the dam Python library, which implements all the dam controls into a simple API.