• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

For those of you using Raspberry Pi I2S output as a source for your dam1021, what RPi distribution and what overlay (and/or modules) are you using? Any other special config required?

Hi Matt,
I am using Volumio to play from a RPI 3 I2S, but it plays only 24 bit depth tracks so I need to covert them first to 24 bit. It does not lock with 16 bit tracks. I use Jriver to do this conversion.
When playing through Amanero, I believe the amanero does this conversion from 16 to 24 bit on the fly.
I would be happy to hear from other users how they manage to play from RPI I2S 16 bit tracks.
There is an option in Volumio UI to select soekris DAC as output - I'll check in the evening what exactly I've got configured in my setup.

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I am using Volumio to play from a RPI 3 I2S, but it plays only 24 bit depth tracks so I need to covert them first to 24 bit. It does not lock with 16 bit tracks. I use Jriver to do this conversion.
When playing through Amanero, I believe the amanero does this conversion from 16 to 24 bit on the fly.
I would be happy to hear from other users how they manage to play from RPI I2S 16 bit tracks.
There is an option in Volumio UI to select soekris DAC as output - I'll check in the evening what exactly I've got configured in my setup.

Thank you. I had a hunch this might be the problem, as I vaguely recalled the dam1021 would only lock onto 32-bit signals. I'm willing to bet your 24-bit files are actually zero padded up to 32 bits.

You need to configure mpd to always output 32bit audio. That is a problem in Volumio, because every time it boots up it changes the mpd.conf file to its default one.

The "Soekris" setting might take care of just this.

I tried the "Soekris" setting in Volumio, but couldn't get it to work. Could be I made some other mistake.

Previously, when I was using Archphile, it "just worked". I did have to set the correct overlay, but never explicitly set the output bit depth.

It's not clear to me: is the output bit depth a function of the overlay/alsa module, or something that's specified in the player (mpd in my case)? I suspect it's the former, as I spent a lot of time hacking my mpd.conf file and never saw or changed any setting related to bit depth. ...Just checked the old mpd.conf, definitely not re-sampling at the player level:

Code:
audio_output {
    enabled         "yes"
    type            "alsa"
    name            "MY DAC"
    device          "hw:1,0"
    auto_resample   "no"
    auto_channels   "no"
    auto_format     "no"
    dop             "no" # default yes
    mixer_type     "hardware"
    mixer_device   "hw:Dummy"
    mixer_control  "Master"
}

And this was my /boot/config.txt:

Code:
device_tree_overlay=rpi-dac
gpu_mem=64

Trying that in vanilla Arch did not work. So perhaps Archphile had a custom rpi-dac overlay? Or maybe the configuration of that overlay has changed? Or there's some other knob/lever I'm not aware of that needs to be tweaked to force 32-bit output?

I'm not really sure what was going on in Archphile, it might have had an overlay that always output 32bits.

MPD by default outputs the proper number of bits according to the audio file's contents.

To force 32bit output you just insert this line into your audio_output section:

Code:
format          "*:32:*"

So you get something like this:

Code:
audio_output {
    enabled         "yes"
    type            "alsa"
    name            "MY DAC"
    device          "hw:1,0"
    format          "*:32:*"
    auto_resample   "no"
    auto_channels   "no"
    auto_format     "no"
    dop             "no" # default yes
    mixer_type     "hardware"
    mixer_device   "hw:Dummy"
    mixer_control  "Master"
}

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I'm not really sure what was going on in Archphile, it might have had an overlay that always output 32bits.

MPD by default outputs the proper number of bits according to the audio file's contents.

To force 32bit output you just insert this line into your audio_output section:

Thanks Dimdim, I'll give that a try.

Still curious how Archphile managed to do this at a lower level.

On my R-Pi->DAM setup, I added an Allo.com Kali reclocker between the R-Pi and DAM, with good separate power.

It makes a useful difference.

Greg in Mississippi

I got same experience. However soren still claims dam 1021 reclock and isolator is enough and additional reclocking is waste of money.

Anyways allo is working on their own R2R Vout dac for Rpi with two audio clocks. It supposed to be master mode synchronus clocking like in their other designs :)

Soekris is EOL for all products?

Soren,

Any closer on a US store? Shipping and currency conversions are making me pause. Stock in the EU store is getting low. Are new boards coming soon?

I think Soekris is dead duck in the US. That's what it says on the .com page:
https://www.soekris.com/

Maybe .eu will be active for a while (till stock dries up).

Correct me if I'm wrong....
Soekris is EOL for all products? This includes their non-audio stuff too.

And just before someone is bitching that I'm becoming too commercial and abandoning the DIY after using all the feedback.

I'm going to continue supporting DIY, the Raspberry Pi version will launch latter, and sometime down the road there will come a dam1021 successor....

Care to reveal what changes you might have planned for the dam1021 v5? Also, I too am interested in how finding a USA distributor is going.

Again:

Soekris Engineering, Inc. (USA) has closed, and manufacturing of Computer products have ended.

Soekris Engineering ApS (Denmark) is very alive, all Audio products are being manufactured in Denmark and new being introduced....

We are currently out of stock of the dam1021-12, but next batch is being manufactured right now, should be in stock again in a few days.

We currently only have one online reseller, http://www.soekris.eu, but are actively looking for more, especially for the US marked. We are in talks with a couple potentials for the US market, but nothing have been decided.

Again:

Soekris Engineering, Inc. (USA) has closed, and manufacturing of Computer products have ended.

Soekris Engineering ApS (Denmark) is very alive, all Audio products are being manufactured in Denmark and new being introduced....

We are currently out of stock of the dam1021-12, but next batch is being manufactured right now, should be in stock again in a few days.

We currently only have one online reseller, http://www.soekris.eu, but are actively looking for more, especially for the US marked. We are in talks with a couple potentials for the US market, but nothing have been decided.

Good news for this crowd! I was just about to be scared that the end was coming for your unique and stunningly sounding DAC :)

Soekris:
You should get out of Denmark, too!! And put all your eggs in China.
Manuf. costs and distributorship are your friends in the East. And eBay or AliBaba will help.
You've already squeezed the DIY community ... which got the ball rolling ...and now it's time for mainstream.

P.S.Maybe your could lease your IP to Bang & Olufsen -- just to be patriotic.

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Last week I got dam1021 0.01-2% version from http://www.soekris.eu. Shipping was a bit pricey, but man that was fast! Like two days really :).
As I am new here I'd like to ask a coulee of question, which might be obvious and most likely were discussed. Sorry for that.
1. As I understand the new board I got already has all PSU issues addressed and you don't need to do any additional caps mod people did before? I am asking as I am using pretty expensive speakers and would not want to have a chance of damaging them during on/off thumb.
2. If I am planing to use RCA output do I need to add a buffer after the dac. I am planing to connect it to power/preamps with Run~50k and will be using something around 0.5m(2ft) RCA interconnections?

Thank you