• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

I'll do that search too.

But here, my experience is that most Diy'ers are more comfortable with the technical side of the discussion, a plus. Also a whole lot of Diy'ers have other units, had other units or have compared with units that friends may have.

So I am interested in what people have to say here.
As I said, the context of the system does mean a lot to me.

_-_-

Hi everyone~
My DAM1021 0.02% Rev4.
Here is it now
P_20160719_222504_zpsudy3b5p1.jpg

I'm disassemble to positive rail filter caps ,negative rail filter caps , rcfilter and two redundant.
The voice is small. What happen is it?

Hi everyone~
My DAM1021 0.02% Rev4.
Here is it now
P_20160719_222504_zpsudy3b5p1.jpg

I'm disassemble to positive rail filter caps ,negative rail filter caps , rcfilter and two redundant.
The voice is small. What happen is it?

Add the two resistors back near the RC caps, you removed power to the mute fets near the bottom. Alternatively you can remove D3 and D4 but since you are still using the power inputs then why do that... Probably not a good idea to remove those caps either as your power wires are long, the bypassing can only help matters.

Last edited:
Add the two resistors back near the RC caps, you removed power to the mute fets near the bottom. Alternatively you can remove D3 and D4 but since you are still using the power inputs then why do that... Probably not a good idea to remove those caps either as your power wires are long, the bypassing can only help matters.

Ok thank you for your reply.
Where is D3 and D4?:faint:

After building my own streaming device with a Soekris Dam rev3 and a rpi2, I am more than happy with the result. I have updated it to the 1.06/1.05 firmware and the rpi2 runs volumio 1.55. With a rotary encoder, a spdif for my TV and a USB input the only things that I still want to implement are a control of the filters, volume and input switch throuth my rpi2 and a update to a odroid c2 so that hires files do not cause stuttering or delays.

I have asked this question a few months ago but now with Volumio 2 as a RC available and several sources reporting the possibility to implement extra controls and code to volumio, I was wondering if someone has started to implement the serial port conection in combination with some code to make this happen.

I have seen the ArDAM1021 Project on DimDim's page and have read the conncetion of a rs232 with a rpi in general.

the other topic is if someone has mad first experiences with an odroid c2 and the soekris dam.

Thanks!

I am using rs232 with my rpi2 to the DAM. The rpi2 is connected with both rs232 and i2s using cables direct to the DAM.
I can then log on to the pi (ssh/putty) and from there use a serial connection program (minicom in this case) to control the dam (change filters, volume etc...)

BTW: I am using picoreplayer and archphile as distros for music playback.

BTW2: Also interested in experience with the Odroid C2....

I am using rs232 with my rpi2 to the DAM. The rpi2 is connected with both rs232 and i2s using cables direct to the DAM.
I can then log on to the pi (ssh/putty) and from there use a serial connection program (minicom in this case) to control the dam (change filters, volume etc...)

BTW: I am using picoreplayer and archphile as distros for music playback.

BTW2: Also interested in experience with the Odroid C2....

Thanks bambadoo.
could you help me with the HowTo for this? I have found several tutorials on how to set up a rs232 connection to a pi but was wondering which way worked for you. Have you tried to use dimdim's code? A web-based control panel would be nice and a first step towards the integration into a player like picore or volumio.

Thanks!

Hi,
I got two rev2 0.05% dam1021 running in balance mode. I connect music signal thru i2s input and I play 44.1 music only.
When I start playing music, there is no music until 5 seconds later. The dacs' LED keep blinking, after 5 seconds, "L044" shows up and the LED go solid.
When I press "previous" button, it will back to begin of the music and there's no signal drop, it plays immediately without losing the 5 second signal.
But when I press "next" button, it goes to the next song, but the signal loss again (LEDs blink), after 5 seconds, it locks again.
If I press "pause" and press "play" again, sometimes it will drop the lock and needs to relock again, sometimes it won't.

I tried firmware 1.05, 1.06 and 0.99, all behaves the same.

So what do you think the possible reason for this issue? Many thanks.

can we use Rasberry Pi i2s output to connect to the dam? if so does the signal gets reclocked? do we face any quality issues as I see that the clock on PI would not be as great as on the DAC so will it be any quality issues?

I see someone has implemented the i2s from pi to dam.

If somebody might have tried this configuration so does it sounds as great as conventional optical input?