• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

Hi Soren,
I wonder what's the usage of the PWRLED on J3?

I tried to connect it (& GND) to a LED, it blinks when I power up without lock. After signal is locked, it goes off. So the behavior is a bit different from the small green LED onboard.

Awhile ago Soren pointed out that the PWRLED line is active low. So you need to connect the LED (with a current limiting resistor) to the 3.3V supply, not to GND.

Hello all.
So, i was replaceing the fpga flash memory chip, didn't go weel :( I manage to destroy two trace to the chip :( The missing signals are SO and CS. SO done, i found where to connect, but i cand find CS.. Anyone know?

Edit: never mind, i will order a new card, i messed this up bad :(

Regards //Daniel

Last edited:
Hello all.
So, i was replaceing the fpga flash memory chip, didn't go weel :( I manage to destroy two trace to the chip :( The missing signals are SO and CS. SO done, i found where to connect, but i cand find CS.. Anyone know?

Edit: never mind, i will order a new card, i messed this up bad :(

Regards //Daniel

Sorry to hear that.... But CS, U38 pin 1, just go to U37 pin 25, should be easy to fix.... It also go to a pullup, but that might not be that critical....

If you don't have the right tools and if you don't intend to reuse the chip then simply clip all the leads of the soic-8 with side cutters and just remove the leftover pins one at a time. No chance of damage.

Yes, i should have done that..don't know why i didn't think of that..
Anyway, i have a new chip. It's solder and i can get the dac (umanager) to respond if i give the flashchip some manual signals (high and low to cs). But i can't upload to it. The upload just halt directly. I will try to route all signals to the chip by wire next week. Soekris has been kind and told me where the cs goes to. I have asked him about the other once too, to check if i did more misstakes.

Regards //Daniel

Looks really interesting, will definitely consider this board when I decide on a dac for my build. I'm curious, though, how you get 24 bits out of a resistor network with 2% parts? Are you very carefully matching resistors or does the 24 bits refer to something else? By my math, 2% resistors will max out at under 6 bits precision, in the worst case. That aside, with so many positive listeners I can't imagine that it's really only getting 6bits of precision, so... magic? Dying to hear more!

Looks really interesting, will definitely consider this board when I decide on a dac for my build. I'm curious, though, how you get 24 bits out of a resistor network with 2% parts? Are you very carefully matching resistors or does the 24 bits refer to something else? By my math, 2% resistors will max out at under 6 bits precision, in the worst case. That aside, with so many positive listeners I can't imagine that it's really only getting 6bits of precision, so... magic? Dying to hear more!

Please read some of the early posts, start with post #1, and post #34....

I mailed to info@soekris.dk about product availability and several issues. No reply for 2 days.

I also used the qustion form at soekris.dk site. No reply.

Should I ask standard issues (like availability, shipment etc.) by posting here?

No, that are currently on post #1. And there are no "question form" at soekris.dk.

As it says on soekris.dk: We do our best to respond to emails and phone calls in a timely manner, but please note that due to the small size of the company, we might not be able to respond immediately.

Hello there, I got no reply to email inquiries and for more than a month, but I have also forgotten that we are dealing not a project in addition to their daily work and is already advertised on the side for your understanding. Soekris presented us HiFi freaks with great products, give time to ask him it finished until now we can be very satisfied with what he has supplied.

No, that are currently on post #1. And there are no "question form" at soekris.dk.

I submitted my questions thru this form: Soekris Europe*»*Contact Us

post #1 indicates;

Boards from next production run will be rev 3 and will be available late January 2016, that batch will only be the 0.02% resistor version...

since only dam1021-05 exists at both webshops and today is the 26th of Jan, i'll be glad if you forecast a date for the supply of dam1021-02?

I got no reply to email inquiries and for more than a month...

here it is normal. I have written many times in the past months and has not received any response. And even if you manage to buy it, you are left alone in the event of non-standard problems..:( , such as in the project 8-channel DAC in the photo attached to the message.
It surprised a nasty attitude towards us...

Attachments

• 8ch_soel.jpg
    8ch_soel.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 716
here it is normal.
So what do you expect? Soren has devellopped and is selling a semi-commercial product. It can be used as is... no one says that you have to mod the hell out of it. Still this thread has accumulated a good number of worthwhile modifications (of course including yours...), and for many, but not all questions a reply can be found on the forum.

I suppose that Soren is pretty much a one man show... so how much time do you think he has apart from taking care of his business, devellopping new stuff, supporting what is on the market already ... to answer a boatload of questions regarding the DAM1021, ranging from standard things to set up the DAM as is, over "when will DSD be supported (asked a million times now, and he replied)" to very specific questions as in your case. Give the man a break. He's got just one life.

So again different. My message should be no criticism of Sven or his actions, but remind us all that we should be patient. I am with my version 1 yet fully satisfied and I appreciate that what Sören still so brings us. Personally, I demand after 1101, but can also be seen on the internet that it still needs care, I must also work and I can and will wait.

I definitely want to try the dam1021 but am a little overwhelmed by the available material here and on other sites -which I take as a testimony of the DAC's great potential :)

before I plunge in I have a few questions that I hope some kind and wise soul could help me with. If it has already been discussed elsewhere, links would of course be highly appreciated.

Atm. all versions are sold out but once availability has been restored I wonder whether to go 0.05% or 0.02%. Has anyone compared them?

It seems very straightforward to hook up the board -but I need more than the board and PS.

-USB board. It seem there are many users of the Amanero and the diyinhk and they cost about the same. Any inputs on which I should choose, or even better alternatives, would be great.

-PS. It seems to be critical in order to unleash the potential of the dam. For starters I'll try to go simple. I have a 30VA R-core with unfortunately only one pair of 0-15VAC secondary. Should it be possible to use it if I attach a series of two identical reservoir caps on the DC side of the bridge and connect ground between the two caps? I'm not sure it'll work though...

At a later stage, I'll probably want to do something fancy with the PS arrangement. It seems that nige2000 and others have done some very interesting mods with LifePo4 cells.

Any insights on the dam board's PS architecture i.e. what regs feed which. I understand that the +/- 5V feeds the opamps providing the 4V Vref. What confuses me is what the +5V feeds if both + and - Vref are generated from the -4V taken from the - 5V... There seems to be only one 3.3 regulator -that I guess is either fed from the +5V or directly from the reservoir caps. Then there is the +1.2V. What feeds it and how critical is it? I guess it all boils down to where I should use the 3.3V LiFePo4 cells. I suppose two for the Vref. Another instead of the 3.3V reg. Maybe another specifically for the clock and maybe yet another specifically for the I2S/USB board. Do I miss something -i.e. something fed directly by the +5V, or something else?...

On LiFePo4 Cells, Nige2000 seems to only use the A123 -which indeed has awesome specs including extremely low internal resistance. Since the shift register itself induces 300mOhms has anyone compared the sonic perfomance of less expensive cells. I found these: 8 Pcs High Power LiFePO4 26650 New Cell A123 26650 Replacement | eBay
-which seems to be almost comparable to A123. What should I look for, or just forget to try to save a little and get the tried and true A123?

Many thanks in advance!

-PS. It seems to be critical in order to unleash the potential of the dam. For starters I'll try to go simple. I have a 30VA R-core with unfortunately only one pair of 0-15VAC secondary. Should it be possible to use it if I attach a series of two identical reservoir caps on the DC side of the bridge and connect ground between the two caps? I'm not sure it'll work though...

Many thanks in advance!

Forgot to say that I would build a linear PS with R-core/rectifier bridge/reservoir caps and that it was in that context I wondered whether I could get away with the proposed config to simulate having a 7.5V-0-7.5V in order to provide the required +/- 10VDC

It might be safer to use two 60VA 12VAC (also single pair of secondaries) with a regulator to give the needed +/- 12VDC

cheers,

I definitely want to try the dam1021 but am a little overwhelmed by the available material here and on other sites -which I take as a testimony of the DAC's great potential :)

before I plunge in I have a few questions that I hope some kind and wise soul could help me with. If it has already been discussed elsewhere, links would of course be highly appreciated.

Atm. all versions are sold out but once availability has been restored I wonder whether to go 0.05% or 0.02%. Has anyone compared them?
my gut feeling would be that the resistor difference wouldnt be the anywhere near the weakest link of this board, if it were me id go with the cheaper one and put the cash difference into mods
It seems very straightforward to hook up the board -but I need more than the board and PS.

-USB board. It seem there are many users of the Amanero and the diyinhk and they cost about the same. Any inputs on which I should choose, or even better alternatives, would be great.
either is fine once powered by a lifepo4 cell slightly prefer the diyinhk atm
like a virtual gnd?
At a later stage, I'll probably want to do something fancy with the PS arrangement. It seems that nige2000 and others have done some very interesting mods with LifePo4 cells.

Any insights on the dam board's PS architecture i.e. what regs feed which. I understand that the +/- 5V feeds the opamps providing the 4V Vref. What confuses me is what the +5V feeds if both + and - Vref are generated from the -4V taken from the - 5V... There seems to be only one 3.3 regulator -that I guess is either fed from the +5V or directly from the reservoir caps. Then there is the +1.2V. What feeds it and how critical is it? I guess it all boils down to where I should use the 3.3V LiFePo4 cells. I suppose two for the Vref. Another instead of the 3.3V reg. Maybe another specifically for the clock and maybe yet another specifically for the I2S/USB board. Do I miss something -i.e. something fed directly by the +5V, or something else?...

On LiFePo4 Cells, Nige2000 seems to only use the A123 -which indeed has awesome specs including extremely low internal resistance. Since the shift register itself induces 300mOhms has anyone compared the sonic perfomance of less expensive cells. I found these: 8 Pcs High Power LiFePO4 26650 New Cell A123 26650 Replacement | eBay
-which seems to be almost comparable to A123. What should I look for, or just forget to try to save a little and get the tried and true A123?

Many thanks in advance!

the cells i use are generic from
https://www.reichelt.com/index.html?ACTION=3;ARTICLE=86863;SEARCH=LIFEPO4 26650FPZ
im too impatient to order from china
they come in green though

1.2v reg is far more influential than i had first thought
cant figure why an ldo wasnt used here

there is no buffered outputs on our modded builds so +/- 5v isnt needed
need a minimum of 3 + cells for decent sound and more than 5 cells id imagine it would be a struggle to notice any benefit

Randy logged most of what we did here
randytsuch's audio page: Soekris R2R Dam Dac - Modding

Forgot to say that I would build a linear PS with R-core/rectifier bridge/reservoir caps and that it was in that context I wondered whether I could get away with the proposed config to simulate having a 7.5V-0-7.5V in order to provide the required +/- 10VDC

It might be safer to use two 60VA 12VAC (also single pair of secondaries) with a regulator to give the needed +/- 12VDC

cheers,

tbh i found using ac input a complete waste of time
most of the original issues was related to vref
id imagine 1021 v2/3 is much better
almost a year ago i was trying to figure out how to get lifepo4 into vref
i knew it would be crucial, but did not realise it would completely turn it inside out
i only know of 4 builds done with lifepo4 and two of them are mine
its a shame more wont experiment

... you are left alone in the event of non-standard problems..:( , such as in the project 8-channel DAC in the photo attached to the message.

You are not alone :)
I'm building an 8-channel DAC with four DAM boards and have no particular struggles with implementation...

Please tell us a little about your 8-ch project. It's truly monstrous!
What sort of problems do you have?
I2S interface used? Can't see from the photo...