• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

Hi Søren,

Thanks for designing and sharing this inspiring DAC. Im looking forward to the release. Perhaps not so far away now for the 0.02% option?

Im interested in using the "R-2R network has an output voltage of 1.4V RMS and output impedance of 1.2 Kohm and can therefore drive a lot of things directly."

I dont know anything about how R2R resistor based I/V outputs operate into different loads. I wonder what Vrms the R-2R network will swing directly into my
a. tube preamp which has a high input impedance of 100kohms?
b. SS power amps that only have 20kohm input impedance?

Hello Søren,

I guess you're busy doing useful things, but I hope you have the possibility to answer these questions:
1) Can you please tell me if and when measurements of a 0.02% or 0.01% version will be available? However I opt for the 0.05% version, I'm curious how they perform.
2) When will some kind of documentation be released, so we can do some planning for ourselves?
3) You're targeting for a release date somewhere early October (fine with me), can we expect the board to be presented on your website somewhere 2nd half of September?

perhaps it is possible to put the answers into your first post?
Thanks in advance,
Edwin

Hello Søren

Just wondering how things are progressing and whether you've managed to listen to your DAC yet?

Busy securing parts and designing the fpga program, not at audio out yet....

A suggestion for the final PCB if I may; it would be nice to have the option of connecting the i2s inputs via ufl connectors.

Ray

Don't really see the need for ufl connectors, the purpose of those is to reduce jitter on the clock, as my DAC have a fifo reclocking circuit it's insensitive to incoming jitter.

Hello Søren,

I guess you're busy doing useful things, but I hope you have the possibility to answer these questions:
1) Can you please tell me if and when measurements of a 0.02% or 0.01% version will be available? However I opt for the 0.05% version, I'm curious how they perform.
2) When will some kind of documentation be released, so we can do some planning for ourselves?
3) You're targeting for a release date somewhere early October (fine with me), can we expect the board to be presented on your website somewhere 2nd half of September?

perhaps it is possible to put the answers into your first post?
Thanks in advance,
Edwin

Can't measure 0.02% and 0.01% version until first production series, but I have every reason to believe the harmonic distortion will be reduced. The question is if you can hear it....

I won't release more docs until production design is firm. And right now I need to spend my time on fpga design, will update later on.

Hello Søren could you please tell me the impedance of the balanced output? Thanks

10R single ended / 20R balanced.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thanks Søren,

this document about I2C answers a lot of the questions that I had about this technique of data-transport..:p

How do I generate the "ø" on a standard US keyboard?:mad:

Press ALT and type 155 for lowercase ø and 157 for uppercase Ø. You might also need code page 865 loaded as IBM originally forgot the Danish ø and Ø, they had the other ones Æ, æ, Å, å, they then added the nordic code page 865.... Have no clue if it's needed on windows....