Reducing gain on a minimalist OPA541 gainclone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
nope. I guess I will be a little better in the low end, but not as nice higher up in the spectrum..

edit:

Otoh I recon it will be much better than with, say 33x gain (wich I tried) and it distorted/compressed like crazy at high frequencies with high energy. These things one can read from the open-loop frequency graph in opa541 datasheet. The way I see it is that you have to have feedback, but not too much or too little ;)

Mad_K said:
The way I see it is that you have to have feedback, but not too much or too little ;)

Second that. I think there is an optimum for the NFB. Between 20 and 30 gain is what they say. You don't want the NFB to be too much either (100% at unity gain).
The more feed back the less relaxed the sound and the less distortions too. Less NFB less Distortions but not as relaxed.

I found my GC sounds the best (to me)with gain of 20.

/Greg

The more feed back the less relaxed the sound and the less distortions too. Less NFB less Distortions but not as relaxed.
Uh, you just contrdicted yourself nicely. Which is it? More feedback = less relaxed or less feedback = less relaxed?

If we're talking OPA chips I think 10-20x is more appropriate
I disagree. With the 1 MHz (or less) gain-bandwidth product, you are pushing the -3 dB point too low to 50 kHz at gain of 20. That will cause measurable and audible amplitude rolloff and phase shift in the upper regions of the audio spectrum. These chips are very different from National's. I would suggest using a gain of 5 to 10 max.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.