• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Red Hot 6L6GC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I went to a technical high school in 1967 through 1970 where I was enrolled in a 3 year long vocational electronics program. All of our practical hands on training was on vacuum tubes. Where do you think I learned how to "make em glow." Most of our stuff came from the Homestead Air Force base including hundreds of brand new RCA metal 6L6 tubes. We had dozens of Eico vacuum tube power supplies and I often hooked several together in series, parallel, or both (not recommended, DON'T do this) to get some serious power. I learned a lot about tubes and how to extract some good power in this class, but a lot of good vintage tubes paid for by Uncle Sam (and donated to the school) died in the name of science.

I proved that you CAN indeed make the outer metal jacket glow. The glow comes long after all the paint has peeled off and the phenolic base is smoking and stinking up the whole lab.

This class had been taught at that school since the school opened in 1963 and sadly was discontinued about 5 years after I left due to its cost. There were several unofficial "records" that had been established prior to my arrival, and I set out to break some of them. I captured the "most outrageous project" record with a 6 foot tall Tesla coil that was never broken. It didn't work too well, but scared all of the school officials, and jammed AM radio and TV for a mile around the school. I also bagged "the biggest amplifier" (most power output) award with a push pull amp using a bunch of those metal 6L6's (maybe 10) that used a power transformer out of an old TV for the OPT. It put out just over 300 watts. We had no means of measuring distortion, so the class teacher passed judgement on the scope trace. That record was busted by a big solid state amplifier that I built in my senior year. It used 12 2N3773's to produce about 600 watts. That record was never broken, but I later wired in 12 more transistors to produce over 1 KW of audio power. I had graduated so it didn't count.

tubelab.com said:
The "special" 6BG6GA's are available from SND sales. I have installed a set in a friends guitar amp that ate 6L6GC's for lunch and they are happy after more than a year of abuse. I have not tried them in a Simple SE, but a few customers have with good reports. See their page (I have never ordered from them and don't have any knowledge of their business ethics).

The Phillips/ECG 6BG6GA's do sound good in PP. They have better bass than an EL34 in my amp, very good midrange, but not the sparkly top end. Unfortunately, they don't seem to like running triode strapped with 515V B+.

Tubes and adapter kits were shipped promptly from SND sales. No issues with service or the tube/kit quality.

Jeff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.