Rectifiers for the GC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had a similar experience. While modifying Marantz CDP, I remove the original rectifiers (marked as WO6B in a schematic) and installed MUR860 hoping for improvement. Well to my surprised the circuit sounded so bad (bright and edgy) that I quicly put the original diodes back in.

But from whatever I tried so far in GC, MUR860 is still best sounding to me.

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
to just add some sanity to this, here is a link to Rod Elliot's article on power supply.

http://sound.westhost.com/power-supplies.htm

it contains a referrence by Nelson Pass on the need to slow down the standard diodes for audio applications.

so your basic choice is to either believe Nelson Pass / rod elliot or Peter Daniel, anaalog-sa, or a marketing brochure from midrigal.

To me, the answer is too obivious.

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
the funny thing is that if your goal is to minimize diode noise, ultrafast diodes are the ones you should avoid, especially the shottky types as they shut off much faster thus having much higher Ir (having to eliminate the stored charges during a much shorter period of time).

millwood said:
to just add some sanity to this, here is a link to Rod Elliot's article on power supply.

http://sound.westhost.com/power-supplies.htm

it contains a referrence by Nelson Pass on the need to slow down the standard diodes for audio applications.

so your basic choice is to either believe Nelson Pass / rod elliot or Peter Daniel, anaalog-sa, or a marketing brochure from midrigal.

To me, the answer is too obivious.

Well, the fancy literature from Madrigal seem to be effecting everybody.

Nelson Pass on Aleph X:

Nelson Pass said:
Yes, we finally bit the bullet on the fancy diodes.
:cool:

Nelson Pass said:
The fast/soft diodes we are using came from STMicro, and
I don't think it matters a whole hell of a lot. I haven't
subscribed to this approach yet myself, but Wayne is
measuring better RF emissions, and both Wayne and
Joe Sammut insist it sounds better.

By this you may discern that mine are not the only ears
in the place, and this is probably a good thing.

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
this is one of those things that when their advocates cannot find empirical data in favor of them, they bring out the favorable theoritical "pieces".

when their theories cannot work, they resort to "I heard" argument.

Consistency and science have never been the strong point of this type of "high-end" audio.

millwood said:
this is one of those things that when their advocates cannot find empirical data in favor of them, they bring out the favorable theoritical "pieces".

when their theories cannot work, they resort to "I heard" argument.

Consistency and science have never been the strong point of this type of "high-end" audio.

Millwood, the performance differences between diodes used in standard 50/60Hz bridge rectifiers are well understood and documented. This forum has had several notable threads on the subject (most of which seem to have died out).

For real measurements see 'Measured RFI Differences Between Rectifier Diodes in Simple Capacitor-Input Power Supplies' by Rick Miller, pp. 26-27, Audio Amateur, One 1994. As far as I know Tektronix spectrum analysers aren't noted for their subjective qualities or golden ears.

Upupa Epops - your AP doesn't measure up in the r.f. bands but your semiconductors will certainly rectify/demodulate this noise.

Don't ask me to post the above article - if you want it send a few dollars to www.audioxpress.com It was around a long time before the internet became popular and deserves support.

James

millwood said:
fdegrove said:
Sorry to say so but you're definetely wrong on this one.

Cheers,;)

I felt coming from you it is a complementory to be wrong, :)

fdegrove said:
it does NOT say what you think it says.

Cheers,;)

I am sure you know very well what I think before I tell you such.

What other supernature capabilities do you have?

:cop: I suggest you get back to the main topic and avoid further comments of this type :cop:

How will be better value of SNR, when you use soft recovery diodes - 1 or 2 dB ? I mean that it will be lower . From about 120 dB of SNR is all unnecessary, 'cos we " hear " practicaly " silence ", isn't true ? But if is construction wrong and amp have hum, somebody is maybe " hunting " every posibility of improvement.

Upupa Epops said:
How will be better value of SNR, when you use soft recovery diodes - 1 or 2 dB ? I mean that it will be lower . From about 120 dB of SNR is all unnecessary, 'cos we " hear " practicaly " silence ", isn't true ? But if is construction wrong and amp have hum, somebody is maybe " hunting " every posibility of improvement.

There is a big difference between 'hum' - usually mains frequency interference / grounding issues and rf interference. I didn't say it would make the amps sound better or indeed significantly affect the SNR. I was merely refuting the statements that it was subjective and not measurable. Rick Miller reported a decrease in rf on the power supply rail in the range of 10-20dB in the frequency range 10kHz to 1.8 MHz when changing from 1N4002 to other types.

On purely technical grounds this seems to me to be worthwhile.

James

Upupa Epops said:
To nemestra : More then 124 dB was measured with " A " filter, without filter ( up to 500 kHz ) it was 118 dB - it is not enough ? If I will be dolphin, maybe it will be interesting for me :cool: .

It's probably enough. But this a DIY board, and diodes aren't expensive and produce a measurable difference.

I would like to see someone produce comparable plots for power amp diodes such as MSR860 and MUR860. Unfortunately I never seem to get the time to do it...

James

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
nemestra said:
For real measurements see 'Measured RFI Differences Between Rectifier Diodes in Simple Capacitor-Input Power Supplies' by Rick Miller, pp. 26-27, Audio Amateur, One 1994.

James

I am curious as to what it said about those diodes. Any summary?

Peter Daniel said:
:cop: I suggest you get back to the main topic and avoid further comments of this type :cop:

when were you when the following was said a little bit earlier?

millwood has been proven wrong on many occasions, but this is not important here.

selective enforcemant? :)

This was directed to Upupa and was still on topic. I was actually stating a fact which you actually confirmed. Your comment to Frank had completely different character. The way you start posting will surely get the thread off topic.

The main subject here is "Rectifiers for the GC", so if you have any sensible observations, you are welcome to comment, but don't try discussing "supernature capabilities" of other members.

You can consider this as a serious warning from a moderator :cop:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.