Recording 78's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Unfortunately my hi-fi setup is for 33-1/3 and 45's. I don't have a turntable that can play at 78 nor the proper stylus profile.

I have a 78 recording of my grandfather singing in an opera. The record is a lacquer that was cut live at the opera house. It needs cleaned and I have not attempted to do so as I understand a lacquer must be treated differently than vinyl.

With all of that being said ... does anyone here offer transcription services? I am willing to pay or barter. I'd really like to get the recording on digital so I can share it with the family before the recording is lost or damaged.

You are correct in that old lacquer disc recording are fragile - both physically and chemically.

There are a number of professionals who specialize in restoring historic sound recordings. One I've had a good experience with is Mr. Steve Smolian in Frederick, Maryland. I had an old lacquer disc which was an air check of a 1955 radio broadcast on which my father participated. Steve physically cleaned the disc, digitized it, applied correct equalization and noise reduction, and then made multiple CD copies for me to give to family members.

Old Recordings To CDs, Recordings Preservation, Restoration, Restore, Copy, Audio, Tape, Record - SoundSaver.com describes his services. Of interest is his collection of 30 styli tip sizes to optimize playback of a particular disc record.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
I guess a lacquer means an acetate disc(handy writable disc from 30's to 50'), not an SP. I have successful experiences about digitizing 78rpm SPs for my personal use. But an acetate one is very fragile. I would say only some professionals who have many experiences can do the job because your lacquer is irreplaceable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.