Recommended relays for pre-amplifier

If you switch any low voltage high impedance sources as a magnetic phono cartridge, you may find the switching current causes a big thump in the input. I certainlly did with geophones and teledyne 1503 TO5 relays.
Silent switching can be done with cadmium sulphide optocouplers, which switch slowly, a tenth of a second. One part number is ASI (advancedphotonix.com) NSL-32SR2 .

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I’ve been using these Panasonic (A)GN 12V relays for about 10 yrs (through hole version)

https://www.mouser.co.uk/datasheet/2/315/Panasonic_GN_Datasheet-3305476.pdf

They are sealed, very small, low coil power and rated for industrial and telecoms applications. They are rated for 50 million operations (no load) and 100 000 at full load. I’ve never had a problem with them.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
One other point. If you don’t want switching thumps or plops, make sure that there is no DC voltage between the two points you want to switch. So, as an example, if you are switching say a capacitor coupled output, always have a load resistor from the cap output side to ground. This way the cap will be fully charged via the load resistor and the cap output side will be at 0V. If you don’t do this, the cap will charge via the relay contacts, causing noise.

Another useful tip is to keep the relay coil supply and switch side traces close together to keep the switching loop as small as possible. If you don’t, you may get clicking noise which is caused by the relay energising voltage (on or off) radiating HF noise into surrounding circuits.

Reactions: 1 user