Recommendations for stereo amplifier ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Bill,

Come on now!

I work with loudspeakers too, and you need a remote to check things out that you cannot hear if you have to keep running back to the amplifier.

Its objective and subjective comment we seek here, not those that are personally directed. Carlos is more dedicated than you give him credit for !

Cheers ......... Graham.

Getting back to original topic, the suggestion of going turntable-to-RIAA-preamp-to-soundcard was rejected due to lack of tone controls. I have faced this issue myself (though not with the intent of undertaking such a major effort) and concluded that tone controls or any other external processing are best dispensed with. The tone control function can be accomplished with CoolEdit or similar software - I use GoldWave.

These are much more satisfactory because if you don't get it right the first time, you can try again without the need to play the LP again. You can unabiguosly note the exact settings in order to make the results reproduceable. It is possible to work in 24/96 resolution even with a budget souncared such as the SantaCruz, The SC by the way will give a THD+N floor of .006% or better (my personal measurement), M-Audio is lower still and if you are filthy rich Lynx soundcards are absurdluy "clean".

A good, yet cheap and simple RIAA preamp is the Bugle from www.hagtech.com which can opperate off a pair of 9V batteries (no ripple or other PS concerns to contend with).

One trap to avoid for anyone transfering LP to digital: You might think "let's just skip the RIAA preamp and to that digitally as well". Not good, the RIAA EQ that was applied in the recording process results in phase changes inherent in any filter circuit. The reverse EQ done by the analog preamp resorse the original phase relationship. Digital proccess often don't alter phase so the phase relationships will not be restored.

Thank you Jacco, as you capture "the spirit" of the thing.

Always i met bill i do with him those things, he was one the first to receive me in this forum, 9 monthes ago... and he received me with that.

"I heard a chicken Squizze"...and i turn very nervous with him, asked him to put a protude thing under the motorcicle seat cushion to see if he turns more kind.

His anwer was so funny that i cannot forget, the noises he made... alike Yessss, wow...goood!, and i perceive that he is not a bad guy, the opposite, he has a very ligthed sense of humor, a clever and always finding someway to kick our a-- when we made some mistake.... alike a hawk making turns in the skies, waiting the moment to descend and attack.

I must say that i like him very much, really i like him...but, the first impression was awfull.

Sorry to interrupt, go ahead with the topic.

Thank you Graham

Carlos

Hi Sam,

Many thanks for your suggestions. You raise the phase aspect, and this is precisely why I want a phono/pre-amp before the converter.

I want to make the best I can before any digital processing because there is an observed variety between various disc recording characteristics, not all of them acheived overall RIAA. That is why I want to vary the R and C of the pickup loading too, because different cutter heads had different high frequency characteristics, and in the 'pop' world some pressings were not so good or even properly central.

This might all sound over the top, but I've already built a phono stage with this variability, including RIAA characteristic roll-off at 25Hz instead of 50Hz, and the options can make so much difference to listening pleasure.

Sure there are even CD productions that clearly do not play back with flat phase either, and these may be improved upon by the 'tone'/tilt or equaliser controls that can be missing from audiophile systems.

Cheers ........... Graham.

Hi Graham.

The pre - amp circuit is free. My inspiration result the differents articles:
- Page Elliott Sound Products, Projet 25.
- www.headwize.com. Projet: Designing a pocket equalizer for headphone listening.

Other recomendation for stereo amplifier:
My amplifier integrate has a psicho-acoustics tone control. This is a circuit original. Is very, very good.

Guillermo Eirín

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.