Recommendations for phono preamp build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Generally speaking is the impedance of low output moving iron cartridges higher than low output moving coil?

I ordered two pairs of SUTs and plan to have another go with them.

Any other ways to measure if the loading is optimal without a scope? This link has some good info on resistance plus capacitance loading. I believe Sowter includes this info on their transformer specs as well.

For well made transformers with dual secondaries, would the lower inductance of the higher step up ratio be so compromised as to reduce bass output? I ended up getting dual secondaries (1:10/20), and plan to try both.

In the past I just tried various resistance loadings with the transformers I had and never found them to be as transparent as a high gain solid state phono preamp.

edit: sorry mike_mcf if this is too far off topic!

Last edited:
I just look at the specs on a case by case basis. When optimizing load, you have to account for preamp input capacitance as well as resistance. You also have to account for the cartridge DCR. It take a bit of fuss which is why so many people just plug and play and get sub-optimal results.

Yes. $100-$200 will get you a nice pair, but i was eluding to Sy's comment about matching the cart and RIAA used. Perhaps you are right in that it is just more DIY overkill. I am a sucker for balanced system. I h ave never found anything but potential benefits when it comes to audio.

The Paradise, is too overwhelming for me as I am just new to DIY electronics. It also looks pretty far from minimalist.

The Salas doesn't look quite as complicated and has excellent support here on DIYA. I am also building the DCB1, so I am familiar with Sala's attention to details.

Perhaps a Salas or Pearl 2 with a well matched SUT would be a good solution?

The Salas and the Pearl 2 have enough built-in gain if you build them for low MC....they don't need a SUT.

I'm on a similar hunt for a kit. i'm running an Ortofon 2M Blue into a Musical Fidelity A5 stage/preamp/amp, to B&W 804s. I want to add some tube vibe to the rig so i'm narrowing the search to a tube stage. Here's what I've narrowed down to:

Hagerman Cornet 3 $399
Tubes4Hifi PH-16 $599
Aural Thrills $799 New Page 2
Aikido ? Phono Preamps
Parks Audio Budgie SE $399 Budgie Phono Preamp
Salas?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.