Recommendations for a table saw

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Actually no, I have only used that saw for ~6hrs all together and I only cut stock of the same thickness, never needed adjustment. I just looked it over out of curiosity when I was first introduced to it My father inlaw has been using it often in the past couple months though, he may have an opinion. I'll be on my way there to use the lathe :) in a few minutes, I'll look into it.

loved my Delta...back then

My grandpa bought me a Delta Contractors Saw, because he loved Delta. He still had his original Delta tools...which he'd bought in the 1930s! (That is not a misprint, he'd been using them for over 60 years!).

I loved my saw, but finally sold it out of storage last year, no room no time. Here at work they also have a big Delta saw which is lovely.

That said, I love my H-P printer, but their new stuff is slammed on Amazon. The moral: check the latest designs. So much stuff moves to China now and sometimes becomes junk.

Peter Daniel said:
I noticed recently that lifting blade up on Ryobi is somewhat difficult. Would you have any experience with that?

Try here Peter. http://www.bt3central.com/forum/default.asp?CAT_ID=1
You basically need to pull the covers and do some cleaning. I put some Johnsons paste wax on my worm gear assembly and it smoothed right out. If you have the older 3000 model there was a shim problem with that one. Anything about the bt31000 or 3000 can be found here, mods, jigs, tables, etc. These guys over on this board are a great bunch who love to help.

Illusus said:
Yes, I use a Ryobi 3100 at my inlaws' shop. I do like it. I really like the performance/price ratio. After using it, and looking at the build quality (twin belt, machined pulleys...etc)I guessed the price to be around $500 + accessories, twice the actual cost. Comes with a great blade too. Very smooth and powerful. The quirky channels on the table forced me to rebuild/tweak some of my jigs, but if it is the only saw you use that's not a problem. I am considering replacing my old general with the 3100. A fine recommendation.

They now have the wide table kit out which can be had for around 85.00 from ordertree. It is basically another set of rails that bolt to the existing ones to extend your fences capability.
The BT3 site even has a wide table design for the rail kit with torsion box construction.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.