• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Recommendation for an 8 channel amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking for an Amp recommendation here. Your SMPS500R has been one that's been mentioned. Would like your input prior to making a final decision. The Amp is a bit old now, however it has a sound that I enjoy and just needs MORE Volts & Amps. It's an 8 Channel Chip Amp that utilizes 2 Tripath 4100 chips. The 4100's can each handle 12A so the requirement would be ~24A MAX. The eight speakers are all rated @ 40-50W and they are a mix of 4 & 8 Ohm speakers, but over time I expect to move all toward the 4 Ohm variety. The chip amp board has a bridge rectifier on it now which I am in the process of removing or bypassing to accept DC power direct to the board(currently there is a 160VA, 18-0-18V Torroid powering the board). Oh and the board does have ~ 20K of caps in place.

I've read the datasheed of TA4100, the maximum supply voltage for reliable operation must not exceed 24-25V. That 12A per channel is the over-current detect threshold not at all the max. output current per channel which is ~4A RMS for a decent 70W on 4R. The suitable power supply for this amplifier is SMPS500RS-24 which is able to provide >20A at 24V more than enough to drive the amp to maximum level on all channels. The main advantage of using a regulated SMPS instead a mains transformer, rectifier bridge and capacitors is that the supply voltage will be constant, without drops (a linear supply can drop 5V or more during peaks) and the rated output power can be achieved without compromise. The capacitors from the SMPS500RS 24V version are enough already, and another 20mF on the amplifier board will keep the voltage more stable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.