recommendation for a 6" efficient bookshelf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I would like to build a bookshelf speaker with 6" driver. They will be connected to a 6W SET amp. What drivers and cabinet combos are worth building? Budget limitations are $250 for both drivers. The cabinet material will probably be 3/4" russian plywood.
I have tried the FE207E foxtex driver and I like it, but it's too large for a bookshelf speaker. Max size is probably around 10" wide by 20" high, 10" deep.

Any bookshelf back loaded horns?

The 12P is a very capable driver, and the minimal enclosure size in which it will work is within your size constraints, but the price might be outside your budget ( $314/pr)

The new 10.3 and 10P are just starting to get some field testing / reviews (including here) and they certainly appear to be delivering ($220/pr + taxes/shipping) As with all Mark's drivers they punch above their weight class - well done again Team Alpair! I've just heard these two in full sized enclosure designs - Pensil MLTL for the 10.3 and FH on HGH (horn growth hormone :D) for the 10P. Too soon to pick one over the other

Bookshelf friendly BLH discrete enclosures (as opposed to built-in) for drivers of this size that wouldn't be compromised in bass extension - I'm not so sure about that.

Another make / model to consider would be the new Fostex FF165WK - the largest of this new series that I've heard - would also work in boxes the size you envision, and for some folks might not need a tweeter.

No doubt others will be suggested - several models of Tangbands, for example

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The new MA Alpair 10p is surprisingly efficient, similar to the 12p. The FF165wk was the 1st thing that came to mind, on the order of 2-3dB more efficient than the Alpairs (and less expensive)

Both will fit into a bookshelf BR within the size parameters (10-20 litres)

A bookshelf sized horn is really an oxymoron, the things that are called horns of this size are really TL variations (often poor ones)

dave

The new MA Alpair 10p is surprisingly efficient, similar to the 12p. The FF165wk was the 1st thing that came to mind, on the order of 2-3dB more efficient than the Alpairs (and less expensive)

Both will fit into a bookshelf BR within the size parameters (10-20 litres)

A bookshelf sized horn is really an oxymoron, the things that are called horns of this size are really TL variations (often poor ones)

dave

Hi Dave,

thanks for the info. Do you recommend the fostex BR or other options will sound better? I saw the Fonken design on your site... interesting option ;)
What about the FE166En? The specs say 94dB/W(m). Are they suited for a BR or sealed enclosure?

I see a lot of people liking the Alphair drivers, but they are not as efficient as the Fostex drivers we are taking about. They are also larger units.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You might be interested to know that a folded mass-loaded TQWT with a K-aperture (a scaled down Karlsonator) is very "bookshelf" sized when paired with a FE166EN, and very efficient. 22 in tall x 8 in wide x 9 in deep cabinet.

Attachments

• Karlsonator-FE166EN-Freq-1m.png
    Karlsonator-FE166EN-Freq-1m.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 355
There are only a few Fostex recommended boxes worth building and you always want to look to your own options before going ahead.

It really needs a horn. The small ones are certainly not bookshelf size.

dave

So FF165Wk it is :) I can get them from Solen at about $100 each and it fits the budget. Now to the enclosures...

The recommended BR from Foxtex is not getting good reviews. The mini Karlson (ator) is an interesting design but I will have to do magic to make it WAFable. Not sure which Fonken to pick. Any other optiions for bookshelf speakers with the Fostex FF165WK?

If you have any questions about Nardi's project, just ask ...
( in the filter he uses normal small electrolytic caps in anti-series connection; the
coil of the notch has to be calibrated on each tweeter )
I use the same (super cheap) mid-woofer in a TL design of mine and it goes real low
You can run it at 8 W or even 80 W max !

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hi Dave, that's great news! Do you have an estimated ETD for the drawings? I'm not in a big rush, but I would like to start somewhere in September ;)

I currently have a substantial queue of box drawings. The ones in greatest need are the ones that pop to the top. Poke me when you are near starting and i'll get drawings done and you can do a beta build.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.