Recommend a mid for 3 way.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey folks!
I want to do this project over the next year or so. They will be going in my living room.
I will use an existing 18" woofer and a compression driver (that i will pick later on) with a horn that i have on hand.
My original thought was i would use a full range as the mid to place the crossover points on the outer edges of the vocal range but I exclusively listen to techno, psy and D&B, so VERY little vocals.
Now I'm thinking (1)-8" or (2)-6.5" would work nicely.
This speaker will have passive x-overs that i will build once i have all the drivers on hand and measured.
I'm willing to spend up to $200.00 per side for these.
Hopefully something with a 94-96 db sensitivity and 150- 200w power handling per side.

So, what say you?

You will want to simulate box designs for your 18" woofer to understand cabinet size, low bass frequency and highest usable frequency. This will allow you to select the best midrange crossover frequency range before you purchase.
===
Look over the datasheets for these two highly recommended midranges. You could also use a 12" midwoofer if your horn+CD performs well with a 1100-1200Hz crossover.

Faital 8pr200 $195
--If you want a narrow baffle, you could put the 18" woofer on the side panel.

Faital 10pr410 $230
===
You will find excellent diy-kits which match your goals...here...
Denovo Home Theater Monitors
===
There have been a few large monitor designs which start with an 18" woofer in a large ported box, and add EconoWave based midwoofer and horn tweeter. Take a look at the Big_Classic3 examples for cabinet and horn ideas.
===

Attachments

• 8PR200.jpg
    8PR200.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 334
  • BIG_Classic3.jpg
    BIG_Classic3.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 328
  • 1in shallow horns.jpg
    1in shallow horns.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
You will enjoy the musical Faital 8PR200.

Do you know the entrance angle of your horn? Selecting a compression driver with an identical exit angle is a good goal.

The $64 Peerless 1" compression driver DFM-2544R00-08 has good reviews because the 44.4 mm diameter voice coil and plastic coated titanium diaphragm support a wide crossover frequency range and also extended high frequency sound. The exit angle 14° (1/2 = 7°) matches BMS and is close to the 14.6° on popular B&C DE250. High value option.

Parts Express has the Selenium D220Ti on sale for $35. The EconoWave threads have proven crossover circuits for several frequencies, and personal reviews of the sound quality with several different horns. The screw-on version fits the $14 Dayton SEOS12 waveguide, which is a good size match to the 8PR200. Low cost option.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.