• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Recent Ad on Craig's List

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I once saw an ad on eBay for a Canon digital SLR box. The 'box' text was deliberately small. This was in the early days of digi SLR's.

A load of bidders hadn't realised the ultra cheap starting price was there for a good reason, thinking they were getting a camera for next to nothing...

It went for something like $600.

Stuey

"Here is a bigger picture.....7591...no glass"
"The 'box' text was deliberately small."

Probably one of those trick auctions where they sell the missing parts (the "carefully removed" glass) for a higher price in a later auction. :rolleyes: I've seen some test equipment sold that way, with a plug-in module missing. Then the crucial plug-in got listed later for a high price. Now if one could just sell the "vacuum" separately. :D

"Hey, we used Candles and fused them to fire crackers"

We had a driveway with a steep drop down to the road. On a calm night we would fill a trash can at the top with butane gas from a lighter refill can. (it's heavier than air) We had a lit candle down at the sidewalk with a few bricks around it, so it couldn't be seen from the road. When a car was spotted appoaching, we tipped the trash can. About 10 seconds later a big fireball would erupt into the air. We got a few honks and screams. Good thing they didn't have cell phones back then, or the police cruiser would have been by shortly.

Don

I can't resist adding to the diversion...

I heard that a second dry cleaner bag could be filled with two readily available industrial gases, then suspended below the dry-cleaner-bag hot air balloon, rigged with a suitable delay fuse, and launched into the (preferably night time) sky. The ignition of the industrial gas bag is truly frightening, doubly so at any significant altitude. An event almost guaranteed to make lead stories in the local news media.

BTW, I also heard that the guys who did this were serious Darwin Award contenders, as the materials involved have been known to produce a discharge of static electricity under the right conditions.

Don't try this at home, but do suggest it to Myth Busters. ;)

two readily available industrial gases

yeah, probably the same ones we used to get out of the smoke wrench at the auto shop in high school.

Good thing they didn't have cell phones back then, or the police cruiser would have been by shortly.

There were too many "mythbuster" type experiments that we did in my teenage years that would warrant an instant trip to jail today. We had an abandoned limestone quarry to try our big experiments in. No cops ever came, despite some serious "smoke on the water". All participants are still alive and well. Some of us don't hear so well any more.

My neighbors gathered almost every 4th of July and New Years Eve expecting some of my usual pyrotechnics for years. The cops looked the other way on those days, in fact there was usually one or two in the crowd. I was advised to cease those displays after 9-11 since they were told to crack down on "big bangs".

One year we made a video spoof on the Fast and Furious movie using an old computer that was "too slow", a NOS bottle and a bunch of fireworks. Every import racer knows that too much NOS makes your engine overheat. We melted the computer. Even the cops were laughing. Unfortunately that video was lost when my computer died a few years ago.

Sorry for my little diversion, now back to some tubes that still have vacuum.........

"I heard that a second dry cleaner bag could be filled with two readily available industrial gases, then suspended below the dry-cleaner-bag hot air balloon, rigged with a suitable delay fuse, and launched into the (preferably night time) sky. The ignition of the industrial gas bag is truly frightening, doubly so at any significant altitude. An event almost guaranteed to make lead stories in the local news media."

Indeed, the ignition of the bag containing the mixture of two common
industrial gases is very frightening at 6 feet altitude, when static
electricity sets it off in your face!

The 2 gases in that bag have the potential to create one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9xCgNdZPKk&feature=related

Michael

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Geek said:
Reminds me of a joke listing Fred Nachbaur posted on ebay for a burned out light bulb, just to see how many burned out bulbs there were.

IIRC, he got 5 bids and $15 for it :D

Cheers!

:clown:

old Joker !

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Attachments

• fred_n.jpg
    fred_n.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 124
LOL,

reminds me of the first box of "tag sale" tubes I ever bought. There was an old Tungar Bulb in the box. Brought it in to work one day to show it off as a curiosity. Well the mechanic decided to screw it into his Drop Light! POOF no more Tungar Bulb and he needed a new Drop Light LOL

Don't laugh, but I clean all my used tubes in the dishwasher!!

I get those mesh bags the ladies use to put their delicates in. I put the tubes in gently and place them in the top rack. Cover them with a heavy pot lid that keeps them from bouncing around and breaking. Run em through a "pots and pans" cycle and presto clean tubes! I have cleaned hundreds this way and only broken 2. BTW, if the tubes have a small crack you will find them this way. As they cool quickly during the cycle if there is a break in the envelope they will suck in water. If its "foggy" or "Wet" its Broke!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.