rear port vs front port

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Originally posted by Timn8ter
I like this question. Some people hate front ports yet it shouldn't really matter. I suppose there is potential to have mid frequencies audible through a front port but I've not had that problem. I'm also understanding that having a LF source near the floor will help so a low port is good.
Indeed mid frequency radiation through the port can be an issue in 2-Way BR-enclosures and therefore in many 2-ways BR`s the port is placed on the backside.
This cannot completely avoid this kind of bad effects but they are less disturbing when those mid frequencies through the port are somewhat delayed and therefore do not interfere directly (in case the port were on the front-baffle) with what the drivers radiates.

For low freqencies (around the tuning frequency) the location of the port should not matter much as the wavelengths are too big to cause deteriorating effects due to phase shifts which would be noteworthy.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Svante said:

Thanks. Is there a documentation for unibox? I would like to see how this simulation is done. MK software only seemed to model standing waves in the box, or did I miss it?

Unibox 4.03 has a check box in the vented box section, "Include effect of port resonance".

Unfortunately, I can't really use Unibox 4.03 because it requires Excel 2000 and I only have Excel 97. But I think that should be what you want.

I will check Martin King's software. Maybe I made a mistake there. I just figured since he deals with pipe resonances so much he probably included port resonance somewhere. :)

kelticwizard said:

Unibox 4.03 has a check box in the vented box section, "Include effect of port resonance".

Unfortunately, I can't really use Unibox 4.03 because it requires Excel 2000 and I only have Excel 97. But I think that should be what you want.

I will check Martin King's software. Maybe I made a mistake there. I just figured since he deals with pipe resonances so much he probably included port resonance somewhere. :)

I found the checkbox, but I am interested in the "nuts and bolts" of it. I mean, I want to see the *math* behind this simulation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.