Realistically, how low is bass in music?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Depends a lot on where you place the mic. The drummer hears one thing, the audience another. And the mic can sometimes give a 3rd perspective. And if you got it in a room? The pedals give off sound, the floor makes sound because the pedal transfers motional energy from the actual kick. It also does depend on the type of kick drum, what size it is, and what type, amount and placement of cloth they use to muffle it.

I agree that there's not a whole lot of stuff happening over 220hz, but it's there, and filtering it out does reduce some of the "live" feeling.

"These days" go back at least 30 years, probably more. I remember using kick drum mics with peaks at the top and bottom decades ago. Boom and click.

It's very pronounced now. Check the Audix D6 datasheet for an idea of it. It's a good way of getting a particular kick drum sound, but if I want a frequency response like that, I'll EQ it there myself and start with something flat.

FWIW, I have a spectral analysis of a live kick drum mic'd at the port (with a large-diaphragm condenser) that shows 16Hz is only 3dB behind 32Hz.
However, once you include dipole losses etc and get the sound into the room, the VLF will fall off somewhat.

Chris

...FWIW, I try to use flatter mics that actually sound like the thing you've put them on. YMMV.

The bands I worked with usually had a box of nothing but 57s & 58s. Far from flat of course, but at least they all had that same damned "presence peak," which of course is just a "peak" when all of the mikes are doing it at once. At least this made it somewhat easy to compensate for with the house EQ. :rolleyes:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yep the Audix has an more exaggerated response than the now classic D112 kick drum mic. I remember when the AKG D112 starting showing up in mic kits, it had a more modern sound than it's father, the D12.

Tastes and mixing change, but ~100 Hz is still where the bass drum has its thump.

I think the biggest reason drummers complain about sound reproduction through stereo, is because they have much more high freq sound from their natural position, than when the mike is in the port and the low freq resonant behaviour is more pronounced than what they hear.
Inside the drum sounds vastly different compared to in the drummers seat, and again different from what a person in another position in the room would hear if not amplified in any way.

I think the biggest reason drummers complain about sound reproduction through stereo, is because they have much more high freq sound from their natural position, than when the mike....

Some symphony halls have come to grief when egotistical conductors have demanded that the sound to THEIR ears should be the criterion rather than to the audience.

BTW, the recent group of posts are strange. For PA use, the person at the sound board has their concept of what it should sound like at their station. Maybe that is just "more of the same" and they manage the system accordingly.

But for recordings, purely a question of what the production team thinks should be on the output delivered to you based on a grab-bag of sound pick-ups and board modifications. It's their judgment call, not some fantasy notion of a mad technologist sitting in Row H holding a pair of mikes near their ears.

B.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It's all a creation. The Front of House engineer works toward a sound he likes for a live show, the mixing and mastering engineers do the same for a recording. The live engineer has a lot more obstacles in his path, but at least he gets to hear and adjust the actual end product in real time. :)

There is some good low frequency energy there, for sure. Lot's of mids too.
Thanks Wavebourn. And Pano is absolutely right. Here's the RTA. (The peak at 200 Hz might be clipped a few dB.)

While the Danley recordings are relatively heavier in the bass end, this firecracker is pretty much a Dirac pulse or a square wave. Really sounds swell on my 12 Hz 17-foot pipe.

B.

Attachments

• Wavebourn firecracker.jpg
    Wavebourn firecracker.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
No clipping was possible...
I meant clipping in conducting my RTA, not your WAV file, as you say.

BTW, I'm all digital and I have some rudimentary grasp of dots-and-dashes. But I often see the overload lamps flashing on my DSP and hear the results. So I believe that real-world digital devices can be operated in a way that they do run out of headroom, whatever the theory may say to the contrary.

B.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.